Cancelled - Digital Literacy & Professional Development Workshops
Due to concerns about the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) we are canceling the planned workshops effective immediately until further notice. If there are any questions about the workshops please contact Louis Knecht at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Humboldt State University Library and the Humboldt County Library are offering free workshops to the community centered around computer skills and professional development thanks in large part by a California State Library Services and Technology Act grant.
The Innovative Digital Literacies Grant will fund workshops openly available to the Humboldt community and will be hosted at the Humboldt County Library Main Branch. Digital literacy is a crucial skill for expanding career opportunities and supporting professional growth in the community and these workshops will involve the participants the chance to engage with Google Chromebooks to enhance these technology abilities.
Workshops, ranging from using Google Suite applications, building resumes and cover letters, using and sending PDF documents, and making graphic design materials such as posters and advertisements, will aide participants in connecting current strengths with needed skills for the local job market. The Humboldt County Library and Humboldt State University Library will also offer workshops that support community conversations using a program called Voicethread.
These programs will address community needs of access to technology, job market readiness, and confidence with using digital literacy skills in everyday life.
Starting in January 2020, the workshops will be offered and divided into several series: PDF document Usership, Professional Development, Google Suite, Canva Graphic Design, and Voicethread. Unless specified these workshops will be offered at the Humboldt County Library Main Branch in Eureka.
PDF Essentials will focus on learning about the document format, why businesses use it, and different applicabilities of PDF document sending and viewing.
- PDF Introduction and Basics - Saturday 1/11 @ 3-4 pm
- PDF Uses and Viewership - Wednesday 1/22 @ 5-6 pm
A second round of this workshop series will be offered at the Arcata Library Branch:
- PDF Introduction and Basics - Thursday 3/5 @ 6-7 pm
- PDF Uses and Viewing - Thursday 3/26 @ 6-7 pm
Google Suite workshops will center around Chromebook technology with the different uses of Google applications that are popular in today’s working environment. Starting with creating a Google account, these workshops will teach participants how to create documents, spreadsheets, and slide show presentations in the Google Suite. This series will combine technology with professional development and is a highlight of our workshop line up!
- Intro to Google Account - Saturday 2/15 @ 3-4 pm
- Google Docs - Saturday 2/22 @ 3-4 pm
- Google Sheets - Saturday 2/29 @ 3-4 pm
- Google Slides - Saturday 3/7 @ 3-4 pm
A second round of this workshop series will be offered:
- Intro to Google Account - Wednesday 4/22 @ 5-6 pm
- Google Docs - Wednesday 4/29 @ 5-6 pm
- Google Sheets - Wednesday 5/6 @ 5-6 pm
- Google Slides - Wednesday 5/13 @ 5-6 pm
Professional Development will focus on identifying the dynamic skills that community participants already possess, how to communicate those skills effectively, and what jobs are looking for in a successful application. This will involve exploring career interests, creating elevator pitches, composing resumes and cover letters, and guest appearances from local business representatives to provide insight and feedback.
- Recognizing Skills and Experience - Wednesday 2/5 @ 5-6 pm
- Exploring Careers - Wednesday 2/12 @ 5-6 pm
- Writing a Resume and Cover Letter - Wednesday 2/19 @ 5-6 pm
- Resume and Cover Letter contd. and review - Wednesday 2/26 @ 5-6 pm
A second round of this workshop series will be offered:
- Recognizing Skills and Experience - Saturday 5/02 @ 3-4 pm
- Exploring Careers - Thursday 5/07 @ 6-7 pm (Arcata Branch)
- Writing a Resume and Cover Letter - Thursday 5/28 @ 6-7 pm (Arcata Branch)
- Resume and Cover Letter continued and review - Saturday 5/30 @ 3-4 pm
Canva is a free internet-based graphic design program that offers templates for many different purposes, ranging from flyers to resumes. These workshops will teach participants how to interweave creativity with goals related to marketing, self-promotion, and professional development. Learn how to let your message be heard through these Canva graphic design workshops!
- Intro to Canva and application - Wednesday 3/11 @ 5-6 pm
- Creating Flyers - Wednesday 3/18 @ 5-6 pm
- Creating Resumes - Wednesday 3/25 @ 5-6 pm
Voicethread, a web browser based program, will engage participants in communication, collaboration, and connectivity through technology. By engaging in conversations with other members of the Humboldt community using Chromebooks, those partaking in these workshops will learn how technology can be used to comment, add video or audio, and share perspective on popular topics.
- Introduction to Voicethread Program - Saturday 3/28 @ 3-4 pm
- Conversations with Voicethread - Saturday 4/04 @ 3-4 pm
- Conversations with Voicethread - Saturday 4/11 @ 3-4 pm
- Conversations with Voicethread - Saturday 4/18 @ 3-4 pm
- Conversations with Voicethread - Saturday 4/25 @ 3-4 pm
The HSU Library and Humboldt County Library partners are grateful for the support in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian.
For more information on program offerings, contact the HSU Digital Literacies Librarian and grant coordinator, Louis Knecht at email@example.com or call 707-826-4072; or Corin Balkovek at the Humboldt County Library at 707-269-1935 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the California State Library and the Library Services and Technology Act visit https://www.library.ca.gov/grants/library-services-technology-act/