Library's Exhibits Policy
In furthering its educational mission, the University Library maintains a program of exhibits and displays. The content and workmanship of exhibits should be of good quality, in keeping with the Library's educational and cultural mission. The library supports all campus and community groups’ right to express their opinions, and aims to create a safe place for appropriate display of controversial topics. However, exhibits in the Library are prepared by and reflect the opinions, interests, and efforts of individual University persons or organizations or members of the wider community. No official University or Library endorsement is expressed or implied. Please note that questions and/or concerns will be directed to the organization.
EXHIBITS POLICY AND PROCEDURES
- Displays are for a maximum of two weeks, beginning on a Tuesday at 8:00 a.m. and ending on a Monday at 3:00 p.m. Access to the keys that will unlock the cases is from Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the Library Administration Office or at the Checkout Desk anytime during library open hours.
- The key(s) are not to leave the building and are to be returned to Room 108 whenever the display is not being put up or taken down.
- If you do not show up to set up your display or call on the first day of your reservation, your case(s) will be given to the club/organization first on the waiting list.
As most of the cases are surrounded in glass, extreme caution is advised in installation and removal of your display to prevent injury.
- Posters, pictures, etc., are not to be taped to the glass.
- Tape is not to be used on either the walls or the glass.
- Special putty will be provided for mounting description cards to the walls.
- Nails are not to be used in the cases.
- The Library Administration Office will provide straight pins upon request.
- No electrical machines or appliances, such as slide or film projectors, may be used due to fire hazard, unless special permission has been granted by the Library Administration.
- No food may be used as part of an exhibit.
- Displays utilizing humans are not allowed.
- Within each exhibit case or designated wall space, there must be a card identifying the exhibitor and exhibit (Library Administration will provide this card using information from the application).
- If the large case is used, the entire case must be utilized.
- All of the display must be within the cases, nothing outside the case, on top or on an adjacent wall. EXCEPTION: If you have small materials for distribution you may place them on top of the case or bring and utilize your own stand, placed adjacent to the display. Please consider accessibility issues around the display case. The area around the display case must remain handicap accessible.
- It is your responsibility to clean up the case when your reservation is over so it is ready for the next club/organization that will use it. This includes cleaning the glass and bottom of display case. The Library Administration Office will provide cleaning supplies when you check out the key to remove your display materials.
- The Library is not responsible for damaged or stolen exhibit material.
- Failure to comply with the Policy and Procedures can result in removal in display and possibly denial of future display reservations.
- Failure to show up for your reservation may prevent you/your club from reserving again during the same semester.
Related documents from the American Library Association