ONCORES: Online Course Reserve System
The HSU Library provides an online course reserve system, called ONCORES, for use by the campus community. Through ONCORES, students in participating classes have around-the-clock access to many of the materials which an instructor has placed on reserve for supplemental reading. At the instructor's option, ONCORES staff will provide persistent links to electronic readings which they can then post in the Moodle course management system. Whenever the instructor selects this option, the reading will be available through both the Course Reserve interface in the HSU Library Catalog and Moodle.
Materials served through ONCORES are password-protected to help ensure that they will only be used by the target audience, i.e., students enrolled in a particular class, in compliance with the Fair Use provisions in Section 107 of the United States Copyright Act.
ONCORES Goals and Guidelines
The primary purpose of ONCORES is to provide HSU students with online access to course reserve materials via the world wide web, as requested by HSU faculty, in compliance with campus copyright and Fair Use policies. Materials served through ONCORES may include, but are not limited to, journal articles, book chapters, course syllabi, reading lists, lecture notes, examinations, problem sets, or links to other copyright-free web resources.
Some of the advantages of using ONCORES to serve reserve materials include:
- Providing access to course reserve materials 24 hours a day, seven days a week;
- Offering simultaneous access to the same item to any number of students;
- Facilitating access to reserve materials from virtually any personal computer or internet device with access to the world wide web;
- Offering students a single point-of-entry for all online reserve materials;
- Providing the capability for pages to be downloaded, saved, and/or printed for personal off-line use;
- Ensuring that materials are being made available in compliance with established copyright policy.
ONCORES services are available to all HSU teaching faculty in support of regular classes.
ONCORES Services Available from the Library
Library staff are available to provide the following services through ONCORES:
- Retrieving materials, as available, from the HSU Library collection;
- Scanning and converting print materials into accessible Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF);
- Scanning print source materials into Optical Character Recognition (OCR) format;
- Converting scanned OCR materials into Hypertext Markup Language (HTML);
- Creating the necessary records, directories, links, and files within the HSU Library Catalog;
- Providing a persistent link to an electronic reading, which an instructor can then post in Moodle;
- Providing the campus community with assistance and logistical support in the use of the ONCORES system.
Library ONCORES personnel use Adobe Acrobat to create PDF documents and OmniPage Pro for OCR/HTML conversion. PDF documents, which comprise the vast majority of documents served through ONCORES, require that a client personal computer or Internet device be configured with Adobe Acrobat Reader software, which is available on virtually all University computers. Users who do not already have Acrobat Reader on their personal machine can download that application free of charge from the Adobe web site.
Further information about this service is available from the ONCORES gateway page, or you can contact the ONCORES staff by e-mail at ONCORES/Reserves, call 826-4401, or stop by the Library Reserves Office in Library 110 (behind the Circulation Desk).