Soil Biology Reference
Soil Science Literature
Much of the soil science research literature appears in the journal
literature. In addition to the journals listed under General Soil Science the following journals
may also contain information of relevance to soil biology. Those not
available at HSU are noted. Articles from these journals may be requested
through the Library's Interlibrary
Loan Service. Indexes
should be used to locate individual articles in these publications.
- Advances in Microbial Ecology (Annual Review)
- Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment (available on ILL)
- Annual Review of Microbiology (Annual Review)
- Annual Review of Plant Pathology (Annual Review)
- Applied and Environmental Microbiology
- Applied Soil Ecology (available on ILL)
- Biology and Fertility of Soils (available on ILL)
- Canadian Journal of Microbiology (available on ILL)
- FEMS Microbiology Ecology (available on ILL)
- FEMS Microbiology Reviews (available on ILL)
- Geomicrobiology Journal (available on ILL)
- Journal of Bacteriology
- Journal of Microbiological Methods (available on ILL)
- Microbial Ecology (available on ILL)
- Microbiological Research (available on ILL)
- Microbiology (formerly Journal of General Microbiology)
- Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews
- Molecular Biology and Evolution
- Molecular Ecology (available on ILL)
- Pedobiologia (available on ILL)
- Plant and Soil
- Plant Physiology
- Revue d'Ecologie et de Biologie du Sol (available on ILL)
- Soil Biology and Biochemistry
- Systematic and Applied Microbiology
- Information Sources in the Life Sciences (Wyatt) 1987 (Ref
QH 303.6 I54 1987)
- Using the Biological Literature (Davis) 1981 (Ref QH 303
- Scientific and Common Names of 7,000 Vascular Plants in the United
States (Bracko, Rossman & Farr) 1995 (Ref QK 96 B68 1995)
- Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
- Handbooks & Manuals
- Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology (Holt) 1984
(Ref QR 81 B46 1984)
- Practical environmental bioremediation: the field guide
(King, Long & Sheldon) 1998 (TD 192.5 K56 1998)
Library Catalogs and Subject Classifications
Library catalogs are generally used to locate monographic (book) materials.
These may be either "primary" publications--conference proceedings, technical
reports, theses, and dissertations--or "secondary publications--textbooks,
treatises, handbooks, and other types of compacted publications derived
from the "primary" literature. These materials are usually arranged
on library bookshelves by subject using a classification system.
For a discussion of how to locate soil biology monographic materials see
Library Catalogs and Subjects Classifications section under General Soil Science.
These research tools are used to provide subject, taxonomic, geographic,
habitat, time, and author access to "primary" research literature in soil
biology, i.e., journals, monographic series, technical reports, conference
papers, and government documents. Basic soil science indexes which you
should consult first are listed under General
Soil Science. The additional ones below have a stronger emphasis
on the biological aspects of soil science.
and Environmental Biotechnology Abstracts Subfile of the
Science and Pollution Management index. Index to journal,
web and conference literature on biotechnology in the food industry,
agriculture and the environment from 1993 to the present.
Abstracts Subfile of the Environmental
Science and Pollution Management index indexes 750 journals
and other literature on bacteriology, especially as it relates to medicine
and health, from 1981 to the present.
- BIOSIS/Biological Abstracts (Abstract QH 301 B3,1927-1995, 1990-1997,
to the present) Comprehensive index to field, laboratory, clinical,
experimental and theoretical studies in all fields of biology.
Abstracts Subfile of the Environmental
Science and Pollution Management index. Index to 350
journals and other literature on the interaction between organisms and
their environment from 1981 to the present.
and Applied Microbiology Abstracts Subfile of the Environmental
Science and Pollution Management index. Index to journal
and other literature on microbiological applications in the agricultural,
food, beverage, chemical and pharmaceutical industries from 1981 to the
Record (Abstract QL1 Z66, 1864-1996; electronic index,
1978 to the present) Comprehensive index to literature on the natural
biology of animals found in 6,700 journals and other scholarly literature.
Internet Subject Guides
In addition the Internet Subject Guides listed in the General Biology subject guide all include
sections on microbiology, molecular biology and other areas of biology.
Send comments and suggestions about this page to:
Last Updated: October 17, 1999