Finding Books in Rangeland Resource Science
There are two ways to finds books in libraries--browsing the physical or virtual "shelf" in a library or searching in a library catalog. In the sciences these books may be either "primary" publications--conference proceedings, technical reports, theses, and dissertations--or "secondary" publications--textbooks, treatises, handbooks and similar publications derived from the "primary" literature. This research guide offers suggestions for both browsing and searching.
Library of Congress Classification System
Using the Library of Congress Classification System books in the general collection and most special collections in the HSU Library are assigned a specific call number which physically arranges them on the shelf by subject. In addition ebooks are assigned these same call numbers. Most academic libraries in the United States use this classification system.
For a general overview of the entire classification system see Library of Congress Classification Outline (Library of Congress). Listed below are the major classification areas where rangeland resource science books are likely to be found. You can browse the physical and virtual shelves for print and ebooks in the HSU Library using the call number search option in the HSU Library Catalog.
HSU Library Catalog
The HSU Library Catalog lists most works in the HSU Library with the exception of governemnt documents prior to 1998. It can be searched by author, title or subject. For guidance in searching by subject see the following research guides:
- Library of Congress Subject Headings -- for general tips on finding and selecting subject headings
- Scientific Subject Headings -- for biological and earth science subjects
Other Library Catalogs
"Union" catalogs and library catalogs connected with universities, govenment agencies and other institutions can be used to identify books held in libraries around the world. The Library's Interlibrary Loan Service can be used to borrow most books found in other libraries. See Other Library Catalogs for recommended catalogs, including the WorldCat union catalog.
Following are some specific library catalogs that include rangeland resource science books:
- BLM Library
- FAO Catalogue Includes all documents and publications produced by FAO since 1945, and books added to the FAO Library since 1976. Provides links to fulltext when available.
- FS INFO Database (U.S. Forest Service) This is the catalog for the US Forest Service libraries and includes natural resources material of interest researchers in the USFS. The database includes over 200,000 references to journal papers, conference papers, technical reports and government documents from 1904 to the present. Includes 70,000 USFS publications, of which 7000 are linked to fulltext on the Internet. Search by author, title, subject, publication series or research station
- National Agricultural Library (US Department of Agriculture) Catalog of book, serial, and government document literature acquired since 1862 by the major agricultural research library in the United States. Many serial publications are individually cataloged.