Natural Resources Agency Government Documents and Technical Reports
This is a research guide to govenment documents and technical reports issued by United States federal and California State agencies. The focus is on agencies responsible for managing and conducting research in natural resources.
Documents issued by other state, foreign, or international agencies are listed in the HSU Library Catalog and are located in the regular bookstacks. You should consult the "Monographic Series" section in individual natural resources research guides for the best way to search for these publications.
Government Technical Reports
There are major federal and state government agencies that conduct research, gather statistics and have managerial or regulatory responsibilities over the nation's natural resources. Publications resulting from these activities typically fall into four general categories of publications:
- Informational and public relations handouts, e.g., brochures and maps
- Records of activities, e.g., annual reports and administrative regulations
- Research reports (Note: the results of some agency research is published in the "open" scientific literature as journal articles and other publications)
- Statistical compilations
The HSU Library is an official "depository library" for federal and state govenment documents and annually receives approximately 6,000 government documents in either paper or microfiche format. Currently 70% of all federal publications are available on the Internet.
Location and Organization
Publications from federal and California state agencies are located in a separate "Documents Collection" on the third floor of the HSU Library that currently contains over 500,000 government documents dating back to the 1800's.
Federal documents are shelved using the hierarchical Superintendent of Documents (SuDocs) Classification System which places all documents issued by a particular agency together under the same classification number, e.g. I 49 for the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. The Natural Resources Agencies section below lists the basic classification numbers for federal departments and independent agencies in natural resources. Within each agency, every publication series is assigned its own unique sub-number, e.g. I 49.66 for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Resource Publication series. 80% of government documents are published in a named or numbered series. For a more complete description see Superintendent of Documents (SuDocs) Classification.
California docments are shelved in a similar fashion using the California State Agency Classification System. In this classification the first line is based on a key word in the agency's name plus a numeric whole number, e.g., W730 for the State Water Resources Control Board. The next line derives from a keyword in the publication or series title and the third line, if necessary, refers to years, bulletins, numbers, etc.; e.g., W 730 W32 for the Water Quality Monitoring Report.
For further information on locating government documents see the HSU Library's general Government Documents web page.
Natural Resources Agencies and their Publications
The following agencies publish research and popular information in natural resources. The entry for each agency includes its SuDocs classification number; its major publication series; and Internet links to the agency and specific publication series. Some publication series, e.g. those of the Fish Commission, are also duplicated in the US Serial Set, especially older publications. See the US Congressional Serial Set Finding List for a list of available series by agency name or SuDocs classification number and their location in the Serial Set.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Department of Publications (A 1)
- U.S. Forest Service
(A 13) -- See U.S. Forest Service Publications
for a more complete list of publications of the
USFS and its research units. The three major USFS research series
- Research Paper (A 13.78)
- Research Note (A 13.79)
- (A 13.88)
- U.S. Natural Resources Conservation Service (A 57)
- U.S. Department of Commerce
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (C55) -- See NOAA Publication Sources (NOAA Library) for links to NOAA organizations that distribute data and publications.
- Departmental Publications
- NOAA Handbooks (C 55.8)
- NOAA Atlases (C 55.22)
- NOAA Technical Reports (C 55.13)
- NOAA Technical Memorandums (C 55.13/2)
- NOAA Professional Papers (C 55.25)
- Report to Congress on Ocean Pollution, Monitoring, and Research (NOAA) (Docs C 55.31/3) (continues Report to Congress on Ocean Pollution Overfishing and Offshore Development and Report to Congress on Ocean Dumping and other Man-Induced Changes to Ocean Ecosystems) Submitted pursuant to the Marine Protection, Research, and Sanctuaries Act of 1972
- Report to Congress on Coastal Zone Management (NOAA) (Docs C 55.32) Submitted pursuant to the Coastal Zone Management Act of 1972
- National Weather
Service (C 55.100s)
- Oceanographic Monthly Summary (C55.123)
- Mariners Weather Log (C 55.135, C 55.299/2, C 55.210)
- National Environmental
Satellite Data and Information Service (C
55.200s & C 55.500s)
- Climatological Data [State] (C 55.214/6)
- World Ocean Atlas Series (C 55.242)
- National Marine
Fisheries Service (C 55.300) - An overview of NMFS scientific
publications is available from the NMFS Scientific Publications Office
- Special Scientific Reports - Fisheries (Docs C 55.13 NMFS-SSRF) 1949-1982 (replaced in 1983 by NOAA Technical Report NMFS)
- Circulars (Docs C 55.13 NMFS CIRC) 1961-1982 (replaced in 1983 by NOAA Technical Report NMFS)
- Marine Fisheries Review (Docs C 55.310)
- Marine Mammal Protection Act Annual Report to Congress
- Fishery Bulletin (Docs C 55.313) (fomerly Bulletin of the United States Fish Commission and Bulletin of the United States Bureau of Fisheries)
- Fishery Leaflets (Docs C 55.314) 1945-1971
- NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS (Docs C 55.13/2 NMFS) -- Selective publications are available fulltext. See NMFS Formal Publications for online availability and NOAA Technical Memoranda, NMFS Series for an index to the series with links to fulltext.
- NOAA Professional Paper NMFS (formerly Technical Report NMFS (Docs C 55.13 NMFS)
- Report to Congress: Status of Fisheries of U.S.
Ocean Service (C 55.400s)
- Tide Tables (C 55.421)
- U.S. Coast Pilots (C 55.422)
- Tidal Current Tables (C 55.425)
of Oceanic and Atmospheric Research (C 55.600s) Includes 17 research
- Search PMEL Publications Searchable database with selective online fulltext to publications originating from PMEL.
- U.S. Department
of Defense (D)
- National Geospatial-Intelligence
Agency (D 5.300s) (formerly agency names
include National Imagery and Mapping Agency, Defense Mapping Agency
Hydrographic/Topographic Center, Naval Oceanographic Office and the
- Publications (D 5.317) (earlier
H.O. Publications are in D 203.22) Included are:
- American Practical Navigator
- Sailing Directions
- Loran Tables
- Omega Tables
- Sight Reduction Tables for Marine Navigation
- Publications (D 5.317) (earlier H.O. Publications are in D 203.22) Included are:
- Army Corps of Engineers (D 103) See Official Publications of the Headquarters, United States Army Corps of Engineers for available publications by series)
- Office of Naval
Research (D 210)
- Naval Research Reviews (D 210.11)
- Naval Research Laboratory Review (D 210.17/2)
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (D 5.300s) (formerly agency names include National Imagery and Mapping Agency, Defense Mapping Agency Hydrographic/Topographic Center, Naval Oceanographic Office and the Hydrographic Office)
- U.S. Environmental Protection
National Service Center for Environmental Publications includes over 26,000 online fulltext EPA documents. EPA Publications Numbering System describes the EPA publication numbering system.
- Ecological Research Series (EP 1.23)
- Fish Kills Caused by Pollution (EP 2.24)
- U.S. Fish Commission (FC) - The U. S. Fish Commission was established in 1871. By 1881 the Commission was known as the U.S. Fish and Fisheries Commission. The Bureau of Biological Survey was established in 1885. In 1903 the name was changed to Bureau of Fisheries. The Bureau of Fisheries was transferred on July 1, 1939, from the Department of Commerce to the Department of the Interior. In 1940 the Bureau of Fisheries and the Bureau of Biological Survey were consolidated to form the Fish and Wildlife Service. See the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and National Marine Fisheries Service for publication series by the Commission.
- U.S. Department of the Interior
- Department Publications (I 1)
- Environmental Impact Statements (I 1.98)
- U.S. Geological Survey (I 19) -- USGS is subdivided into five separate disciplines focusing on biology, geology, geography, geospatial information and water. Many of their publications are available online. The Publications Warehouse allows one to search for USGS publications by author, title, subject, or series.
- Biological Science Report (I 19.209 and I 73.10)
- Information and Technology Report (I 73.11)
- Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team Annual Report
- Quarterly Mortality Reports (National Wildlife Health Center)
- Bulletin (I 19.3)
- Circular (I 19.4.2) - General science and public policy topics related to the mission of USGS
- Fact Sheet (I 19.127) - Brief descriptions of USGS science and products.
- General Interest Publication (I 19.174) Topics of general interest.
- Professional Paper (I 19.16) - Comprehensive scientific reports
- Coal Investigations Map (I 19.85) - Contains multicolor or black and white geologic maps that show bedrock geology, stratigraphy, and structural relations of selected coals resource areas.
- Digital Data Series (US Geological Survey) (I 19.121) - Series of cd-roms containing GIS and other data sets, databases, computer programs, and other reports in digital format. .
- Geologic Atlas of the United States (I 19.5/1 folio) - 227 volume map folio series produced from 1894 to 1945. Each volume includes a topographic map and several thematic maps with accompanying text describing the geology and economic geology of the mapped area. Most maps are at scales of 1:62,500 or 1:125,000. Superceded in 1949 by the Geologic Quadrangle Map series. See Index to the Folios of the Geologic Atlas of the U.S. for an index by state. The online site includes geographic, title and subject indexes.
- Geologic Investigation Series Map / Miscellaneous Investigations Series / Miscellaneous Geologic Investigations ( I 19.91) - Contains mostly multicolor maps covering diverse topics such as bedrock and surficial geology, marine geology, mineral and energy resources, and geophysics and geochemistry. The series also includes maps of the Earth's Moon and other planetary bodies, hydrogeology, landforms, earthquake epicenters, map projections, and oblique-view maps.
- Geologic Quadrangle Map (I 19.88) - Contains multicolor maps that show the bedrock, surficial, or engineering geology of selected 7.5- or 15-minute quadrangles in the United States. The series, begun in 1949, is a continuation of the earlier folios of the Geologic Atlas of the United States.
- Geophysical Investigation Map (I 19.87) - Shows results of surveys using geophysical techniques, such as gravity, magnetic, seismic, or radioactivity, which reflect subsurface structures that are of economic or geologic significance. Many maps are correlated with the geology of the area.
- Mineral Investigations Resource Map (formerly Mineral Investigations Field Studies) (I 19.90)
- Miscellaneous Field Studies Map (I 19.113) - Contains mostly black and white maps that cover nearly all aspects of USGS investigations and research. Later maps are on various subjects such as bedrock and surficial geology, offshore geology, mineral resource assessments, geophysical and geochemical surveys, and environmental studies. The maps are either the preliminary results of ongoing studies or the final results of studies that lack the scope necessary for the I and GQ Series. Superceded in 2004 by the Scientific Investigations Map series.
- Oil & Gas Investigation Chart (I 19.92) - Show the subsurface structure and stratigraphy and surface geology of selected oil and gas fields and of other areas having hydrocarbon potential. They may be black and white or multicolor. Some Oil and Gas Investigations Maps and Charts are viewable online in .pdf format or available for download in Arc/Info export format.
- Oil & Gas Investigation Map (I 19.93) - Maps on planimetric or topographic base of oil and gas fields that show geology and subsurface geology.
- Open File Report (Docs I 19.76) - Contains unpublished manuscript reports, maps, and other material that are available to the public but which are considered nonpermanent. Many have been prepared at the request of and in financial cooperation with other federal, state or local public agencies.
- Scientific Investigations Map (Docs I 19.91/3) 2004 to the present. Scientific results of studies presented as maps, charts, stratigraphic sections and other large illustrations. Replaces the Geologic Investigations Series Map, Hydrologic Investigations Atlas, Miscellaneous Field Studies Map, and Water Resources Investigations Report Map.
- Scientific Investigations Report (Docs I 19.42/4-4) Significant data and interpretations of lasting scientific interest but generally narrower in scope than Professional Papers. Replaces the Biological Science Report, Bulletin, Information and Technology Report, and the Water Resources Investigations Report.
- Minerals Yearbook (I 19.165) For yearbooks prior to 1994 see the US Bureau of Mines Minerals Yearbook (I 28.37)
Supply Paper (I 19.13) Presents significant interpretive
results of hydrologic investigations of wide interest.
- Hydrologic Investigations Atlas (I 19.89) - Black and white or multicolor maps showing a wide range of water-resources information, such as depth to ground water, floods, irrigated acreage, producing aquifers, water availability, surface-water discharge, chemical or mineral content of water, surface impoundments, and water temperatures.
- National Water Conditions (I 19.42)
- State Hydrologic Unit Map (I 19.89/1) Series of maps for individual states.
of Water-Resources Investigations
(I 19.15.5) Methods and techniques used in collecting, analyzing,
and processing hydrologic data.
- Water Data: [State] (I 19.53/2) Annual cumulation of discharge, level, and water quality records for streams and wells. Arranged by drainage basin. Data compilations prior to 1961 are included in the US Geological Survey Water Supply Paper series. Surface water records extend back to 1899 and water quality records to 1941. See Water Supply Paper 2135 (I 19.13:2135) for a listing of earlier reports.
- Water Resources Investigations Reports (I 19.42/4)
- U.S. National Park Service (I 29) - See Natural Resource Publications Management for ifnormation and links to NPS publications.
- Fauna of the National Parks of the United States (I 29.13)
- Natural Resources Reports Disseminate high priority, current natural resource management information with managerial application
- Natural Resources Technical Reports Disseminate the peer-reviewed results of scientific studies in the physical, biological, and social sciences for both the advancement of science and the achievement of the National Park Services mission.
- Scientific Monographic (I 29.80)
- U.S Bureau of Mines (I 28) - established in 1910 and ceased as an agency in 1995 with functions transferred to the U.S. Geological Survey, U.S. Department of Energy and U.S. Bureau of Land Management
- Minerals Yearbook (I 28.37) (formerly Mineral Resources of the United States) For later volumes see I 19.165
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife
Service (I 49) -- The Timeline
of Federal Fish and Wildlife Agencies presents a brief outline
of the history of federal wildife agencies from 1821 to the present.
lists by broad category or series publications available online in
The US Geological Survey's Publications Warehouse includes some US Fish and Wildlife Service series and allows one to search for publications by author, title, subject,
or series. The "Advanced
Search" option allows one to search or browse by series or limit
to publications that are online.
- Annual Report (I 49.1) (formerly Annual Report of the United States Commission on Fish and Fisheries)
- Biological Report (Formerly FWS/OBS Series) (I 49.89/2)
- Biological Technical Publication
- Convention on international Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) Biennual Report (Docs I 49.85)
- Endangered Species Bulletin (I 49.77)
- Endangered & Threatened Species Recovery Program ( I 49.77/3) Biennial report to Congress on status of efforts to develop and implement recovery programs
- Fish & Egg Distribution Report of the National Fish Hatchery System (formerly Propagation and Distribution of Fishes from National Fish Hatcheries (I 49.69)
- Fish and Wildlife Leaflet (formarly Wildlife Leaflets) (I 49.13/5)
- Fish and Wildlife News (I 49.88)
- Fish and Wildlife Research (I 49.99)
- Fish and Wildlife Technical Report (formerly Technical Papers and Special Scientific Report - Wildlife) (I 49.100)
- Fish Disease Leaflet (I 49.28/3)
- Fisheries and Wildlife Research and Development (I 49.92)
- Habitat Suitability Index Models (I 49.97) Includes 157 HSI models.
- Investigations in Fish Control (I 49.70)
- National Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife Associated Recreation (I 49.98/2)
- North America Fauna (I 49.30)
- Refuge Leaflets (I 49.44)
- Refuge Maps (I 49.44/2)
- Research Report (I 49.26)
- Resource Publication (I 49.66)
- Special Scientific Report: Wildlife (I 49.15/3)
- Species Profiles: Life Histories and Environmental Requirements of Coastal Fisheries and Invertebrates (I 49.89/2:82) Includes 126 profiles
- Waterfowl Population Statistics (I 49.100/3) Earlier included as part of the Fish and Wildlife Technical Report Series
- Wildlife Leaflet (I 49.13)
- Wildlife Research Report (I 49.47/4)
- U.S. Bureau of Land Management (I 53)
- U.S. Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (I 72) (formerly U.S. Minerals Management Service)
- OCS Monographs (I 72.12
- OCS Study (I 72.1212)
- OCS Reports (I 72.12/3)
The USGS Biological Resources Discipline includes 17 research centers, each of which are described on Biological Resources Locations.
The USGS Geological Resources Discipline includes the following major publication series:
The USGS Mineral Resources Program includes the following major publication series:
The Water Resources Discipline includes the following major series.
- Department Publications (I 1)
- National Science Foundation (NS)
- Smithsonian Institution
- Atoll Research Bulletin (SI 1.25)
- Smithsonian Contributions to the Earth Sciences (SI 1.26)
- Smithsonian Contributions to Zoology (SI 1.27)
- Smithsonian Contributions to Botany (SI 1.29)
- Smithsonian Contributions to Paleobiology (SI 1.30)
- Smithsonian Contributions to the Marine Sciences (SI 1.41)
- US National Museum
- Migratory Bird
Conservation Commission (Y 3 M58)
- Annual Report (Y 3 M58:1)
- California Geological
Survey (formerly California Division of Mines and Geology) (C 810)
The California Geological Survey's Publication Database lists publications available for sale or available for free download. The Internet Archive's California Mines Geological Collection contains the fulltext of many CGS publications.
- Bulletin (C 810 B9)
- California Continental Margin Geologic Map (C 810 C66)
- California Geology (formerly Mineral Information Service) (C 810 M3) A print index is available for 1948-1986.
- California Journal of Mines and Geology (C 810 C3)
- CGS Note
- County Report (C 810 C6)
- Map Sheet (C 810 M32
- Open-File Report (C810 O63)
- Preliminary Report (C 810 P7)
- Regional Geological Map (C 810 R43) Includes Geophysical, Bouguer Gravity and Aeromagnetic map subseries
- Report of the State Mineralogist (C810 R4) Published in the California Journal of Mines and Geology for V.18 (1922) -V.54 (1958)
- Special Publication (C 810 S59
- Special Report (C 810 S6)
- California Department of Fish
& Wildlife (F 650)
The DFG Document Library is an online repository of thousands of documents prepared by or for DFG. One can search by keyword, title, author, subject, or date range; or browse by document category.
- California Fish and Game (F 650 C3)
- Fish & Game Field Notes (F 650 F48)
- Fish Bulletin (F 650 F5)
- Game Bulletin (F 650 G3)
- Outdoor California (F 650 O8)
- Interagency Ecological Program for the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary (F 650 E2 T42)
- Anadromous Fisheries Branch. Administrative Reports (F 653 A3)
- Environmental Services Division. Administrative Reports (F 654 A3)
- Inland Fisheries Branch. Administrative Reports (F 660 A3) (Fulltext available in the Aquatic Commons--do a series search)
- Marine Resources Branch. Administrative Reports (F 650 M352) (Fulltext available in the Aquatic Commons--do a series search)
- Marine Resources Technical Report (F 650 M357)
- Wildlife Managment Division. Administrative Report (F 674 A3)
- Bird and Mammal Conservation Program Report (F 674 ...) Selective publications are available at Publication Information.
- California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Doc F 770)
State Board of Forestry & Fire Protection (Cal Doc
- Annual Report (F 771 Z2)
- California Marine Research Committee (Cal Docs M 135)
- California Advisory Committee on Salmon and Steelhead
Trout (Cal Doc S 138)
- Annual Report (S 138 R4)
- California State Water Resources Control Board (Cal
Docs W 730)
- Water Quality Monitoring Report (Cal Docs W 730 W32) includes subseries California State Mussel Watch, Toxic Substances Monitoring Progress, Areas of Special Biological Significance
- California Department of Water Resources (Cal
Docs W 750)
DWR Publications includes the fulltext of many DWR publications. One can browse by topic, publication type or title.
General Indexes and Web Directories
- Federal Documents -- See Indexes to Federal Documents to search for public documents that are typically distributed to federal depository libraries and Federal Government Document Databases for databases to federal web sites and technical reports.
- California Documents -- See Indexes to California Documents for databases that can be used to find documents issued by California state agencies and Government Information and Databases for databases to California web sites.
- U.S. Bureau of Land Management
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- EPA Publications Bibliography (Docs EP 1.21/7-2) In three cumulations 1970-1976, 1977-1983, 1984-1990, and annual 1990-2000.
- National Service Center for Environmental Publications (annual print copy available in Docs EP 1.2: P9615) Lists over 7,000 currently available print publications and 26,000 fulltext publications.
- EPA Publications Search
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
- Fish, Fisheries and Aquatic Biodiversity Worldwide (HSU users only) Good for indexing federal and state fisheries documents from 1971 to the present..
- Wildlife and Ecology Studies Worldwide (HSU users only) Good for indexing federal and state fish and wildlife publications from 1935 to the present.
- An Analytical Subject Bibliography of the Publications of the Bureau of Fisheries 1871-1920 (MacDonald) 1921 (print copy available in abstr Docs I 49.1 1920, supp.5)
- Fishery Publication Index, 1920-54; Publications of the Bureau of Fisheries and Fishery Publications of the Fish and Wildlife Service by Series, Authors, and Subjects (U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service) 1956 (print copy available in Docs abstr C 55.13 NMFS-CIRC No.36)
- Fishery Publication Index 1955-64; Publications of the Fish and Wildlife Service by Series, Authors, and Subjects (George Washington University) 1969 (print copy available in Docs abstr C 55.13 NMFS-CIRC No.296)
- Fishery Publication Index 1965-74 (Engett and Thorson) 1977 (print copy available in Docs abstr C 55.13 NMFS-CIRC 400)
- Fishery Publication Index 1975-79 (Thorson) 1981 (print copy available in Docs abstr C 55.13 NFMS-CIRC 437)
- Fishery Publication Index 1980-85; Technical memorandum index, 1972-85 (Martin) 1987 (Docs abstr C 55.13 NMFS 62)
- Index of Fishery Technological Publications of the Fish & Wildlife Service and The Former Bureau of Fisheries, 1918-1955 (Stansby and Schairer) 1961 (Docs abstr C 55.13 NMFS-CIRC No.96)
- Bibliography of Research Publications of the U.S. Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife, 1928-1972 (Eschmeyer and Harris) 1974 (print copy available in Docs I 49.66:120)
- Publications of the U.S. Bureau of Fisheries, 1871-1940 (Aller) 1958 (Docs C 55.13 NMFS-SSRF No.284)
- Publications Warehouse (US Geological Survey) Indexes USGS and former US Fish and Wildlife Service publications as far back as 1880. Availability of indexed publications ranges from fulltext to bibliographic citation only. The Advanced Search option let you search by series.
- Index of Fishery Biological Papers by U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Authors Appearing in Nongovernment Publications 1940-1956 (Dees) 1963 (Docs C 55.13:NMFS-CIRC 151)
- FWS/OBS Series Annotated Bibliography: Complete Listing and Subject Index (Rosenthal) 1985 (Docs I 49.89/2:85-12) Covers 1976-1984 when the series ceased.
- Selected Research Publication Series of the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, 1889-1985 (Cortese and Groshek) and Indexes to Selected Research Publication Series of the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, 1889-1985 (Cortese, Opler and Kemp) 1987 (Docs I 49.66: 159) The main volume includes 2,000 annotated citations to scientific and technical publications included in 10 major USFWS research series. The index volume includes author, species and subject indexes.
- U.S. Forest Service
- See US Forest Service Publications (HSU Library.
- U.S. Geological Survey
- U.S. Minerals Management Service (now US Bureau of Ocean Energy Management)
- Environmental Studies Program Bibliography (Johnson) 1989 (Docs I 72. 12/2 89-0087) Covers 1973-1987
- U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- NOAA Library and Information Network Catalog Union catalog containing the holdings of NOAA Libraries aross the country.
- NOAA Publication Series Includes links by series to publications indexed in the NOAALinc catalog.
- Smithsonian Institution
- List and Index of Publications of the United States National Museum (1875-1946) (Smithsonian Institution) 1947 (US National Museum Bulletin 193) (Docs SI 3.3: 193)
- Publications of the United States National Museum (1947-1970) (Smithsonian Institution) 1971 (US National Museum Bulletin 298) (Docs SI 3.3: 298)
- Guide to Smithsonian Serial Publications (Schorr) 1987 (Abstract Docs Q 11 S8 S36) Indexes fourteen SI series from 1964 to 1986.
- Search Contribution and Studies Series (Smithsonian Institution) Search titles in the Contributions series.
- California Geological Survey (formerly California
Division of Mines and Geology)
- California Department of Fish & Wildlife
- An Annotated Bibliography of Research in Economically Important Species of California Fish & Game (Cal Doc abstr F 650 R45) Covers CDFG publications and other primary publications from 1863(?)-1974.
- Author-Title Index to Anadromous Fisheries Branch Administrative Reports, 1969-1986 (Knutson) 1988 (Cal Doc F 660 A3 88-6)
- Index to Anadromous Fisheries Branch Administrative Reports 1969-1978 (Hoopaugh) 1979 (Cal Doc F 653 A3 79-1) Includes numerical listing by year, author index and subject index..
- Anadromous Fisheries Branch Administrative Reports (Numerical Index by Year) 1979- (Cal Doc F 653 A3 Index)
- Author-Title Index to Inland Administrative Reports, 1932-1987 (Knudson) 1988 (Cal Doc F 660 A3 88-7)
- List of Inland Fisheries Administrative Reports, 1932-1994 (Numerical Index by Year ) (Cal Doc F 660 A3 Listing)
- Bird and Mammal Conservation Program Bibliography: 1966-1996 (Gould) 1997 (print copy available in Cal Doc F 674 B571) Includes job final and progress reports, annual or periodic reports written to satisfy federal co-funding requirements, and theses, manuscripts, and articles published as a result of studies supported by contracts administered by the Species Conservation and Restoration Program (formerly known as Special Wildlife Investigations, Nongame Wildlife Investigations, Nongame Bird and Mammal Section, and Bird and Mammal Conservation Program) Includes a numerical listing by year, author index, subject index and geographic index. The online database updates the bibliography through the current date but only includes the numerical listing and the subject index.
- California Department of Water Resources
- Abstracts of DWR Publications
(Cal Doc W 750 B9 # 170) Index to DWR publications. Entries include detailed
abstracts. Cumulative issues cover 1922-1969, 1970-1974, 1775-1979, 1980-1984,
1985-1989, 1990-1994, and 1995-1999.
- Abstracts of DWR Publications (Cal Doc W 750 B9 # 170) Index to DWR publications. Entries include detailed abstracts. Cumulative issues cover 1922-1969, 1970-1974, 1775-1979, 1980-1984, 1985-1989, 1990-1994, and 1995-1999.
Government Technical Reports
Governement technical reports typically publish the results of research projects conducted for government agencies. They are usually produced in response to specific information needs with research either 1) conducted "in-house" by state or federal research labs, or 2) contracted out to universities, consulting firms, research institutes, or private industry.
Progress and final reports typically are used directly by the sponsoring agency with limited distribution beyond the organization. As a result technical report literature is sometimes called "gray literature" because of its difficulty to identify and acquire.
The format of technical reports is more flexible in organization and tends to contain more of the scientific data collected. Research first reported in a technical report may be reworked and published in other "primary" literature formats.
Availability of technical reports in the HSU Library is limited. Of those available:
- Some have been selectively purchased, cataloged as books, and are listed in the HSU Library Catalog.
- Some are received on "government depository" and are part of the Government Documents Collection. Use the Government Document General Indexes and Web Directories or Agency Indexes and Bibliographies listed above.
- Some are available on the web in fulltext format. Listed below are sites
that provide access to online fulltext of federal and other technical
Technical Reports Center: EPrints, Preprints, & Technical Reports
on the Web (University of Maryland University Library) Contains
an alphabetical list of institutions that provide either full-text
reports, or searchable extended abstracts of their technical reports
on the web.
- Information Bridge: DOE Scientific and Technical Information (U.S. Department of Energy) Provides access to the fulltext of research and development reports that are produced and made available by the Department of Energy National Laboratories and DOE contractors from 1995 forward. Additional legacy documents are also included as they become available in electronic format. Subjects covered include physics, chemistry, materials, biology, environmental sciences, energy technologies, engineering, computer and information science, renewable energy, and other topics.
- National Service Center for Environmental Publications (Environmental Protection Agency) Includes over 26,000 fulltext EPA documents.
Technical Report Archive and Image Library (Greater Western Library
Alliance and the Center for Research Libraries) Collaborative project
to digitize, archive, and provide access to federal technical reports
issued prior to 1975.
- Virtual Technical Reports Center: EPrints, Preprints, & Technical Reports on the Web (University of Maryland University Library) Contains an alphabetical list of institutions that provide either full-text reports, or searchable extended abstracts of their technical reports on the web.
- Some are treated as "Monographic Series". The "literature section" of natural resources research guides include a section on how to search for monographic series..
Government technical reports not available locally can be requested through the Library's Interlibrary Loan Service.
- NTIS Database (National Technical Information Service) Indexes 3 million federal technical reports issued from 1964 to the present.
- Science.gov (USA.gov) Gateway to science information provided by 14 federal scientific agencies. The site provides access to federal science web sites and databases containing technical reports, journal articles, conference proceedings, and other published materials on science topics. Browse web sites by broad subject area; or search websites and databases by keyword.
- DTIC MultiSearch (Defense Technical Information Center) Searches DOD and other federal government databases, including those from the Departments of Agriculture, Energy, and Defense; EPA; FDA; NASA; NIH; and USGS.
- U.S. Department of Defense
- DTIC Online (Defense Technical Information Center)
Includes all unclassified, unlimited technical report citations from 1974
to the present. Fulltext of reports are linked from 1998 to the present.
The scope of the collection includes areas normally associated with Defense
research; however, since DoD's interests are widespread, the collection
also contains information relating to hard sciences such as biological
and medical sciences; environmental pollution and control; and the behavioral
and social sciences.
- DTIC Online (Defense Technical Information Center) Includes all unclassified, unlimited technical report citations from 1974 to the present. Fulltext of reports are linked from 1998 to the present. The scope of the collection includes areas normally associated with Defense research; however, since DoD's interests are widespread, the collection also contains information relating to hard sciences such as biological and medical sciences; environmental pollution and control; and the behavioral and social sciences.
- U.S. Department of Energy
- Energy Citations Database (Office of Scientific and Technical Information) Contains bibliographic records from 1948 to the present for energy and energy-related scientific and technical information from the Department of Energy (DOE) and its predecessor agencies--the Energy Research & Development Administration (ERDA) and the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC). The scope of the index includes disciplines of interest to DOE such as chemistry, physics, materials science, environmental science, geology, engineering, mathematics, climatology, oceanography, computer science and related disciplines. It includes citations to technical report literature, conference papers, journal articles, books, dissertations, and patents. Links to recent fulltext, if available, are made.
- Information Bridge: DOE Scientific and Technical Information (Office of Scientific and Technical Information) Searchable database of DOE fulltext research report literature from 1994 to the present.
- Science Accelerator (Office of Scientific and Technical Information) Search across the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE's) collections of scientific and technical information. Searches the "deep Web" content of DOE-generated research and related resources containing pertinent information on energy, science, and technology.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- EPA Publications Bibliography (print copies available in Docs EP 1.21/7-2) In three cumulations 1970-1976, 1977-1983, 1984-1990, and annual 1990-2000.
- National Publications Catalog (annual print copy available in Docs EP 1.2: P9615) Lists over 7,000 currently available publications.
- National Service Center for Environmental Publications (Environmental Protection Agency) Includes over 7,000 print and 26,000 fulltext documents.
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
(Two major federal aid programs--the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Program (Pittman-Robertson Program) which began in 1937 and the Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration Program (Dingell-Johnson and Wallop-Breau amendment) which began in 1951 have funded basic and applied research in wildlife and fisheries. While some of this research has been formally published in journals most has remained in technical report format.)
- Wildlife and Ecology Studies Worldwide (HSU users only) and Fish, Fisheries and Aquatic Biodiversity Worldwide (HSU users only) both include the Fish and Wildlife Reference Service (FWRS) Bibliographic Database that indexes technical reports resulting from the wildlife and fisheries federal aid programs.
- Pittman-Robertson Quarterly (Per SK1 P5) Includes list of funded projects, bief summaries of preliminary findings and progress reports, and formal publications resulting from projects. Covers 1941-1954.
- Survey of Pittman-Robertson Activities (Docs C55.13 NMFS-CIRS 38, 47, 42, 56, 82) Annual continuation of the above. Covers 1955-1959.
- Dingell-Johnson Quarterly
(Docs I 49.29/2) Includes list of funded projects, brief summaries of
preliminary findings and progress reports, and formal publications resulting
from projects. Covers 1953-1958
- Federal Aid in Fish & Wildlife Restoration (Docs I 49.29/3) Annual statistical summary and state-by-state listing of funded projects. Covers 1945 to the present.
- Index to Federal Aid Publications in Sport Fish & Wildlife Restoration and Selected Cooperative Research Project Reports (Docs I 22.9:F52) Comprehensive index to 5,600 formally published federal aid reports which have appeared as journal articles, conference papers, monographic serials or government documents. Covers 1951-1968.
- U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- NASA Technical Reports Server Provides 1) access to scientific and technical literature sponsored or created by NASA and its predecessor, the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, that is available on NASA technical report servers; and 2) selected aerospace literature on non-NASA servers. Includes over 250,00 full-text documents, and links to more than a 500,000 images and video clips. Literature dates from 1917 to the present.
- U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- National Sea Grant Library Database Indexes 40,000 Sea Grant funded publications, with links to 15,000 in fulltext format.