Soil Science Reference Resources
- Guides to Reference Resources
- Guide to Sources for Agricultural and Biological Research (Blanchard) 1981 (ref S 493 G85) Lists reference resources in agriculture, including a section on "Soil Science."
- Literature of Soil Science (McDonald) 1994 (S 590.45 L58 1994) Includes updated list of reference resources originally found in Guide to Sources for Agricultural and Biological Research (Blanchard).
- "Soil Science" (Casler and Schneider) IN Using the Agricultural, Environmental and Food Literature (Hutchinson and Greider) 2002 (ref S 494.5 A39 U75 2002), pp 451-487
- California Agricultural Directory (ref S 409.5 C3 C3)
- Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
- Cyclopedia of American Agriculture (Bailey) 1917 (ref S 493 B2) Classic agriculture encyclopedia
- Encyclopedia of Agricultural Science (Arntzen and Ritter) 1994 (four volumes) (Ref S 411 E713)
- Encyclopedia of Soil Science (Lal) 2002 (ref S 592 E53 2002) Includes 400 "state-of-the-knowledge" articles.
- Encyclopedia of Soil Science. Part I. Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Fertility and Technology (Fairbridge) 1979 (ref S 592 E52)
- Internet Glossary of Soil Science Terms (Soil Science Society of America) 1997 (print edition available in Ref S 592 G58 2001)
- Resource Conservation Glossary (Soil Conservation Society of America) 1982 (ref S 922 R47 1982)
- Handbooks & Manuals
- Erosion and Sediment Control Handbook (Goldman, Jackson and Bursztynsky) 1986 (TC 423 G645)
- FAO Watershed Management Field Manual (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations) 1985-90.(6 volumes) (S 900 F68 #13:1-6)
- Field Book for Describing and Sampling Soils (U.S. Natural Resources Conservation Service) 1998 (print copy available in Docs A57.2: F45) Summarizes the current National Cooperative Soil Survey conventions for describing soils.
- Field Guide to Soils and the Environment: Applications of Soil Surveys (Olsen) 1984 (S 592.14 O36 1984)
- Guide to Interpreting Engineering Uses of Soils (U.S. Soil Conservation Service) 1971 (Docs A 57.6/2:So3/2)
- Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (Chemcial Rubber Company) Annual. (ref QD 65 H3) Includes tables on properties of soil nutrients.
- Handbook of Soil Science (Sumner) 2000 (Ref S 591 H23 2000)
- Methods of Soil Analysis (Soil Science Society of America) 1982-1994. Part. 1. Physical and mineralogical methods (S 593 M4453 1982) and Part 2, Microbiological and biochemical properties (QR 111 M34 1994)
- Methods of Analysis for Soils, Plants, and Waters (Chapman and Pratt) 1961 (S 587 C3)
- National Soil Survey Handbook (U.S. Natural Resources Conservation Service) 1993- (print copy available in Docs A57.6/2: SO3/5) Contains the main operational and procedural guidelines for the NRCS soil survey program.
- Soil Sampling and Methods of Analysis (Carter) 1993 (S 593 7425 1993)
- Soil Survey Laboratory Methods Manual (U.S. Natural Resources Conservation Service) 1996 (Soil Survey Laboratory Investigations Report # 42) (print copy available in Docs A 57.52:42)
- Soil Survey Laboratory Information Manual (U.S. Natural Resources Conservation Service) 1995 (Soil Survey Laboratory Investigations Report #45) Describes soil chararactization data reports prepared by the Soil Survey Laboratory.
- Soil Survey Interpretation for Engineering Purposes (Olsen) 1977 ( TA710 O48 1977)
- Soil Survey Manual (U.S. Soil Conservation Service) 1993 (USDA Handbook #18) (print copy available in Docs A 1.76:18)
- Western Fertilizer Handbook (California Fertilizer Association) 1980 (S633 C26 1980)
- Soil Classification
- Soil Series of the United States, Puerto Rico, and the United States: Their Taxonomic Classification (Docs A 57.2 T19.2)
- Soil Taxonomy: A Basic System of Soil Classification for Making and Interpreting Soil Surveys (U.S. Natural Resources Conservation Service) 1999 (USDA Handbook #436) (print copy available in Ref S 591 U5 1999)
- Keys to Soil Taxonomy (U.S. Natural Resources Conservation Service) 1998 (Eighth Edition) (ref S 592.16 K49 1999; microfiche copy available in Docs microfiche A57.2: K52/998)
Series Classification Data Access (U.S. Natural Resources
Conservation Service) Database containing the taxonomic classification
of each of the 19,000 soil series identified in the United States. Each
entry also contains information about office of responsibility, series
status, dates of series origin and establishment, and number of states
and MRLAs where the series is found. Search by series name or create
a custom report based on geographic areas of responsibility or use,
series status, or soil classification.
- Soil Databases
- A Compendium of On-Line Soil Survey Information: Digital Soil Survey (Rossiter) Directory of digital data available on the Internet or as large datasets on cd-rom.
- Soil Data On-line (International Soil Reference and Information Center)
- Agricultural Statistics (U.S. Department of Agriculture) Annual (print copy available in Docs A 1.47) Annual compendium of national and state level agricultural statistics.
- International Soil Reference and Information Centre (Wageningen University) This site is the World Data Center for Soils and is responsible for compiling, archiving and distributing data on world soil resources.
- National Agricultural Statistics Service (U.S. Department of Agriculture) Includes current and historical statistics, charts and maps on agricultural commodities at national, state, and county levels.
- Official Soil Series Descriptions (U.S. Natural Resources Conservation Service) Database containing detailed descriptions for each of the 19,000 soil series taxa in the United States. Each description includes information on taxonomic classification, typical pedon description, type location, range in characteristics, competing series, geographic setting, geographically associated soils, drainage and permeability, use and vegetation, distribution and extent, and other remarks. Search by series name or create a custom report based on geographic areas of responsibility or use, series status, or soil classification.
Data Mart (U.S. Natural Resources
Conservation Service) One-stop source for
digital soils data that includes over 2000 U.S. soil surveys with
spatial and tabular information plus another 800 soil surveys with
tabular (soil attribute) data only. Replaces the Map Unit Interpretation
Records (MUIR) and the Soil Survey Geographical Database
(SSURGO) databases. The spatial data is only available for downloading
and is designed for GIS use. The Soil Data Mart allows you to:
- Determine where spatial and tabular data are available
- Download data for a soil survey
- Download a MicroSoft Access template for use with the tabular data
- Generate a variety of soil reports
- Find contact information for a soil survey
- Subscribe to update notifications for a soil survey area
- Soil Laboratory Data and Descriptions of Some Soils of (state) (U.S. Natural Resources Conservation Service) (Docs A 57.52) Series of data reports for selected states that contain soil descriptions and laboratory data resulting from NRCS cooperative soil survey investigations.
- US General Soil Map (STATSGO) (U.S. Natural Resources Conservation Service) Database containing state-level soil maps made by generalizing detailed soil survey data. The level of mapping is designed to be used for broad planning and management uses covering state, regional, and multi-state areas. Data is designed for use in a GIS. Previously known as the State Soil Geographic Database.
- Web Soil Survey (U.S. Natural Resources Conservation Service) Database containing official USDA soil survey information as viewable maps and tables for more than 2300 soil surveys in the United States and its territories. Define an area of interest using an interactive map, or enter an address, county, hydrologic unit or soil survey area; view and print a map of the specified area that is overlaid on an orthophoto backdrop; access and view soil data for the area and determine its suitability for a particular use; and download soil attribute data from the Soil Data Mart.