Finding Books on Fish and Fisheries
There are two ways to finds books in libraries--browsing the physical or virtual "shelf" in a library or searching in a library catalog. In the sciences these books may be either "primary" publications--conference proceedings, technical reports, theses, and dissertations--or "secondary" publications--textbooks, treatises, handbooks and similar publications derived from the "primary" literature. This research guide offers suggestions for both browsing and searching.
Library of Congress Classification System
Using the Library of Congress Classification System books in the general collection and most special collections in the HSU Library are assigned a specific call number which physically arranges them on the shelf by subject. In addition ebooks are assigned these same call numbers. Most academic libraries in the United States use this classification system.
For a general overview of the entire classification system see Library of Congress Classification Outline (Library of Congress). Listed below are the major classification areas where books on fish and fisheries are likely to be found. You can browse the physical and virtual shelves for print and ebooks in the HSU Library using the call number search option in the HSU Library Catalog.
GB Physical Geography 1201-1598 Rivers 1601-1798 Lakes HD Economics 9450-9469 Fishery Economics QH Biology 91-95 Marine Biology 96-100 Freshwater Biology. Limnology QL Zoology 619-637 Fish by Geographic Region 637.9-638 Osteichthys - Taxonomy & Biology by Order and Family 638.12-638.25 Agnatha 638.6-638.95 Chondrichthyes - Taxonomy & Biology by Order and Family 638.97-639.8 Fish Biology SH Fisheries and Fish Culture 20-170 Aquaculture. Fish Culture 171-199 Fish Diseases, Pests and Environmental Pollutants 200-324 Fisheries in Particular Waters 325-329 Fishery Management and Conservation - General 330-345 Fishery Technology and Commercial Fishery Methods 346-364 Fishery Management and Conservation - Individual Species 365-380 Shellfish Culture and Fisheries 381-387 Whaling 400-700 Sport Fishing, Angling TD Environmental Engineering 420-427 Water Pollution
HSU Library Catalog
The HSU Library Catalog lists most works in the HSU Library with the exception of governemnt documents prior to 1998. It can be searched by author, title or subject. For guidance in searching by subject see the following research guides:
- Library of Congress Subject Headings -- for general tips on finding and selecting subject headings
- Scientific Subject Headings -- for biological and earth science subjects
Other Library Catalogs
"Union" catalogs and library catalogs connected with universities, govenment agencies and other institutions can be used to identify books held in libraries around the world. The Library's Interlibrary Loan Service can be used to borrow most books found in other libraries. See Other Library Catalogs for recommended catalogs, including the WorldCat union catalog.
Following are some specific library catalogs that include books on fish and fisheries:
- FAO Catalogue (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations) Includes all documents and publications produced by FAO since 1945, and books added to the FAO Library since 1976. Provides links to fulltext when available.
- National Agricultural Library (US Department of Agriculture) Detailed catalog of book, serial, and government document literature acquired since 1862 by the major agricultural research library in the United States. Many serial publications are individually cataloged.
- NOAA Library (US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency) Includes holdings of libraries throughout NOAA, including the National Marine Fisheries Service.
- Oregon State University Library
- Streamnet Library Focus is on technical report literature on anadromous fisheries in the Columbia Basin.
- WAVES (Fisheries and Oceans Canada) Combined catalog of 12 Libraries of Fisheries and Oceans Canada.
- WorldFish Center Library Empahsis is on fisheries and aquaculture in the developing world.