NRPI 109 Library Research Guide
This guide focuses on information resources covering northwestern California natural hazards. It also provides general guidance on locating other information on natural hazards. For additional assistance contact Robert Sathrum, Natural Resources Librarian.
Guides to Key Resources
- Northwestern California/Klamath Bioregion: Environment Information Sources
- California Environment Information Sources
Books, reports prepared by government agencies and other similar works are listed in the Library Catalog. Most locally focused materials are housed in the Humboldt Room on the third floor of the Library. The materials in this room are library use only. The catalog will note if there are additional copies located in the regular bookstacks which can be checked out.
To find works on local natural hazards enter a search that uses a combination of subject and geographic keywords. Enter a subject keyword, e.g., floods, earthquakes, tsunamis, wildfires, forest fires, storms or climate and a geographic keyword, e.g., Humboldt County or California.
Finding Newspaper, Magazine and Journal Articles
Use QuickSearch Articles and other discipline specific databases listed under Articles and Databases to find articles appearing in newspapers, magazines, and journals. In addition the following sources focus on local information:
- Humboldt County News Online Lists local newspapers, including those that have online archives
- California Newspapers Contains daily fulltext of approximately 50 California newspapers.
- Humboldt County Pamphlet Collection This connects to a list of subjects used for filing materials in this collection of materials in the Humboldt Room . This collection consists of 1) newspaper articles selectively clipped from local newspapers with coverage back to the 1940's; and 2) pamphlets, reports and other ephemera produced by local organizations and government agencies.
Baker Fountain Papers 128 volume clipping file and collection of materials
on northwestern California activities and history covering the period
from settlement through 1960. The print volumes are located outside the
Humboldt Room. There
is a brief
index plus a more detailed microfiche index available.
- Humboldt Room Photograph Collections. Index to local historical photos, some of which are online and some located in the Humboldt Room.
- Calisphere Statewide collection of historical photographs and historical texts.
Finding Government Documents
See the HSU Library Government Documents web pages for help in finding federal and California documents. Below are some major agencies and other organizations that have externsive information on natural hazards.
- California Emergency Management Agency
- California Geological Survey
- Humboldt County Office of Emergency Services
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Natural Hazards Center (University of Colorado, Boulder) Includes the HazLit Database that indexes journal articles, books, and reports covering the social science dimensions of natural hazards, disasters, and risk. Publications from the Center include the Natural Hazards Observer.
- Natural Hazard Statistics (US National Weather Service)