HSU Library Geospatial Programs
This research guide list programs installed on two "Geospatial" computers located near the Atlas and Map Collection on the first floor of the Library. The program folders on the desktop of these computers correspond to the categories below. Look in these desktop folders for the program icons to launch each program. Supporting CD-ROM data files and program documentation are filed next to these computers.
- ArcView (Version 3.2) Includes Spatial Analyst and Image Analysis extensions. See HSU Library Digital Spatial Data for ArcView compatible data sets available in the HSU Library on cd-rom.
- LandView III Environmental Mapping Software (Atlas G 1201 G3 U55 1997) This program and associated dataset extracted from the EPA, Bureau of the Census, the US Geological Survey, and other federal agencies maps physical, cultural, jurisdictional, environmental information, and provides statistical profiles of communities. Different data layers can be selected for mapping, 50 different census statistics can be accessed down to block groups, and one can estimate selected demographic characteristics within a radius from a given point. For further information see LandView III Specialized Computer Mapping Application (US Bureau of the Census).
- 3-D Topo Quads: California, North; California, South; Oregon, East; Oregon, West (Delorme) 1999 (Atlas G 1526 C28 D45 & D46 1999; Atlas G 4291 C1 1999 D44 & D48) Contains a seamless collection of USGS 7.5' (1:24,000) topographic quadrangles that includes street-level data updated through 1999. Find any place by place name, geographic feature, quad name, or latitude/longitude. Maps can be printed or saved in 2-D or 3-D formats. Use multiple viewing levels to view a selected area. View selected area in 2-D or 3-D perspective; trace a route and show its cross-sectional profile and distance traveled; or customize the map by adding your own symbols.
- Terrain Navigator (MapTech) 2002 (Atlas G 1526 C28 M28 2002) Includes all 1:24,000 and 1:100,000 USGS topographic maps for California. One can calculate distances and land areas to the nearest foot or meter, trace a route and see its elevation profile; annotate a map with symbols, and find out the terrain visible from a specific point using line of sight.
- Topo USA (Delorme) 2002 (Atlas G 1201 C2 T66 2002) Seamless collection of vector-based topographic maps for the entire United States. Contour interval is 20', except for Alaska which is 100'. Create a 3-D perspective of an area, a cross-sectional profile, or a travel route. Find any place by place name, ZIP code, area code, or latitude/longitude. Print and save maps.
- Topo! Mount Shasta, Lassen Wilderness and the Trinity Alps (Wildflower Productions) 1999 (Atlas G 1526 C28 W55 1999) Includes 1:24,000 and 1:100,000 USGS topographic maps that cover Mount Shasta, Trinity Alps, Lassen National Park, Marble Mountains, Russian Wilderness, and other recreation areas and national forests in northern California. Zoom through increasing levels of display; print a custom map; save maps in a number of raster formats; draw a freehand route that displays distances and generates an elevation profile.
World Atlases and Maps
- Historical atlas of Islam = Atlas historique de l'Islam (Bel and Donck) 2002 (Atlas 1786 S1 H6 2002 disc) (Library also has print copy under same call number)
- Eartha Global Explorer (Delorme) 1998 (Atlas G 1021 E27 1998) View shaded relief maps derived from satellite imagery for any location on Earth and then zoom in up to eight levels to see more detail on physical and cultural featuers, e.g., roads, cities. Search by placename, plan routes, and print maps.
- National Geographic Maps on CD-ROM (National Geographic Society) 1998 (Atlas G 1 N273 1998) Collection of all 535 fold-out maps included in National Geographic magazine from 1889 to 1997. National Geographic Map Collection has thumbnail images of all National Geographic maps through 1999, organized by geographic region.
United States Atlases and Maps
- AniMap Plus County Boundary Historical Atlas (Ettlinger) 1999 (Atlas G 1201 F7 A55 1999) "Displays over 2,000 maps showing the changing county boundaries in the 48 adjacent states for every year from colonial times to the present. Also includes searchable databases containing more than 240,000 cities, towns and other populated places, over 30,000 historical sites, and 100,000 cemetaries, all of which can be plotted on the maps. Enables users to locate historical towns which are not on current maps or which are now in a different county."
Foreign Country Atlases and Maps
- Australia Unfolded (Australian Surveying and Land Information Group) 1996 (Atlas G 2750 A982 1996) Includes 1:10 million scale maps with 12 attributes and 1:250,000 scale maps with 17 attributes.
- Italia: Guida Interattiva (Institute Geografico De Augostini) 1995 (Atlas G 1989.2 I58 1995) Includes mapping at a scale of 1:750,000 with more detailed maps and tourist information in multimedia formats.
- Ordance Survey Interactive Atlas of Great Britain (Attica Interactive) 1997 (Atlas G 1812.2 G7 1997) Contains 1:250,000 scale mapping of all of Great Britain plus more detailed mapping for 350 selected sites.
- Swiss Map 100 ( Switzerland. Bundesamt fur Landestopographie) 1999 (Atlas G 6040 1999 S9) Contains digital editions of all 1:100,000 and 1:1million topographic map of Switzerland.
California Atlases and Maps
- GAP Analysis of Mainland California: An Interactive Atlas of Terrestrial Biodiversity and Land Management (California GAP Analysis Project) 1995 (Atlas QH 76.5 C2 C34 1995) Provides an assessment of the conservation status of native vertebrate species and natural land cover types in California. Uses medium-scale distribution maps to show 300 dominant plant species, 200 plant communities, predicted distribution of 455 terrestrial wildlife species, 58 wildlife habitat types, and land ownership and management status. Will also display a list of rare or endangered species in a selected 1:24,000 USGS quadrangle. The interactive atlas allows one to make queries, displays, and analyses. Data can be downloaded in Arc/Info export format for use in a local GIS system. Data is available in statewide datasets or in subsets by ecological region. For additional information or to download GIS coverages directly from the Internet see the California GAP Analysis Home Page or the USGS National Gap Analysis Program.