EndNote Connection Files At HSU
There are two methods to capture references for addition to EndNote. One is to search a database, capture the references in a compatible format and use an database-specific EndNote Filter to import the records. The second method is to use an EndNote Connection File to directly search a database from within the EndNote program. While the latter is the simpler way, not all databases can be searched from within EndNote nor is it always the best way to find what you need since there are limitations on how the search interface functions compared to a direct database connection.
Follow these steps to configure EndNote Connection Files for searching databases provided by the HSU Library. Presently this connection files only work from on-campus computers:
1. Navigate from Edit-->Connection Files--> Open Connection Manager
2. Choose the database you wish to configure. Highlight the file and click the Edit button. If you do not find the database in the list of Connection Files that came installed with your version of EndNote, go to the most recent list of EndNote Connection Files that resides on the EndNote web site. Download the file to the Endnote Connections file folder on your computer.
3. After opening the file for editing choose the Connection Settings option and change the connection settings as follows:
- Change Server Address to library.humboldt.edu
- Change the Port ID to the port address as listed below
- Uncheck User ID and Password
4. Go to File-->Save As and save the file as [name of database] via HSU
9001--FirstSearch Databases (ArticleFirst, ClasePeriodica, ERIC, GPO, Medline, PapersFirst, WorldCat)
9002--FirstSearch Databases (GeoBase)
9003--CSA Databases (Agricola, Conference Papers Index, EconLit, Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management and its subfiles, ERIC, GeoRef, Oceanic Abstracts, Philosopher's Index, PsycInfo, Social Services Abstracts, Sociological Abstracts, Toxline)
9004--Ovid Databases (Zoological Record)
9005--Ebsco Databases (Academic Search Elite; America: History and Life; ATLAReligion; Child Development and Adolescent Studies; CINAHL Plus; Communication and Mass Media Complete; ERIC; Family and Society Studies Worldwide; Fish, Fisheries and Aquatic Biodiversity; GreenFile; Historical Abstracts; MLA Bibliography; SPORTDiscus; Wildlife and Ecology Studies Worldwide)
9006--ProQuest Databases (ABI/Inform, Dissertations and Theses: Humanities and Social Sciences, Ethnic Newswatch, GenderWatch, Proquest Newswatch)
Note: The HSU Library Catalog has its own connection file (listed as Cal St U - Humboldt) which requires no special modification. See Step 2 above if not in your connection file list.
If you need additional help with EndNote software or connection files developed for additional databases please contact Robert Sathrum.