Scholarly Journal Directories
There are perhaps 25,000 scholarly peer reviewed journals published today. While most are accessible through the Internet availability of individual papers varies as discussed below. The following directories list scholarly journals by title and/or subject, with an emphasis on directories that provide free access to their content through the open access initiative.
For help in deciphering journal abbreviations found in the literature see Journal Title Abbreviations.
- Directory of Open Access Journals (Lund University) - lists over 8000 titles. Search by keyword or browse by subject.
- Free Full-Text Journals in Chemistry (Belarusian State University)
- Free Medical Journals.com - lists approximately 1500 medical journals that are freely available on the Internet, some after a blackout period of six months or longer.
- Genamics JournalSeek - subject and title listing of 95,000 journals from 4,000 publishers. Journal information provided includes the description (aims and scope), journal abbreviation, journal homepage link, subject category and ISSN.
- Infomine: Electronic Journals (University of California) - includes annotations for 18,000 fee and free electronic journals.
- LivRe!: Portal to Free
Access Journals on the Internet (Brazilian National Nuclear Energy Commission) -
lists over 5000 free access journals.
In addition The HSU Library Journal and Newspaper Finder also lists many free fulltext journals.
- All articles are available for free.
- Selective articles within the journal are available for free.
- Only journal table of contents and article abstracts are available for free.
- Article access requires a paid subscription (either by an individual or a library) to the journal.
- Articles can be purchased individually (pay per view).
- Articles older than a specified blackout period are available, typically 6 months to 3 years.
Articles that are unavailable can be requested through the Library's Interlibrary Loan Service.