Library of Congress Classification
E77 General works
E78 By state, province or region, A-Z
E93 Government Relations US
E98 By subject, A-Z
E99 By Tribe, A-Z
KF8201-KF8208 Indian Legal Matters
Library of Congress Subject Headings
Indian art North America
Indians of North America – Fishing
Indians of North America - Government relations
Indians of North America - Legal status, laws, etc.
Indians of North America - Legal status, laws, etc. - Water rights.
Navajo Indians - Legal status, laws, etc.
United States - Civilization - Indian influences
- broadest approach is Keyword:
- Indian? religion
- Indian? fishing
- Indian? legal
- Indian? law
- (the "?" retrieves both singular and plural forms, Indian and Indians)
- Handbook of North American Indians. 1978- (ref E 76.2 H36) Detailed volume list
- Johnston-Dodds, Kimberly. Early California Laws and Policies Related to California Indians (ref E 78 C15 J64 2002 and online)
- Grinde. Native Americans (ref E 93 N32 2002)
- Washburn, Wilcomb. The American Indian and the United States: A Documentary History (ref E 93 W27) Reprints of major documents in 4 volumes
- Indian Law Reporter. 1976- (ref KF 8201 A3 I5) Full text of cases from all jurisdictions. Monthly updates, semi-annual and annual indexes, by case and by broad subject.
- Deloria and DeMallie. Documents of American Indian Diplomacy 1775-1979 (ref KF 8202 1999)
- Fixico, Donald L. Treaties with American Indians: An Encyclopedia of Rights, Conflicts, and Sovereignty 3 volumes (ref KF 8203.6 T74 2008)
- American Indian Law Deskbook (ref KF 8205 A76 2004, suppl 2006)
- Pevar, Stephen L. The Rights of Indians and Tribes (ref KF 8210 C5 P48 2012)
- California Indian Legal Services - Good for California resources, e.g., Birth Records Self-Help Kit
- USAdotgov: For Tribal Governments and Native Americans - This official site brings together a massive amount of information available from the federal government as well as links to other sources of information.
- Law Library of Congress: Indians of North America - This is a good beginning site with links to many of the sites below.
- University of Montana - Indian & Tribal Law – Another guiding site.
- UC Berkeley Library Research Guide for Native American Resources – An extensive list of sources for legal research, including links to many of the sites below and more. See also American Indian Law from Berkeley Law Library.
- Native American Constitution and Law Digitization Project – Coordinated by The University of Oklahoma Law Library and The National Indian Law Library of the Native American Rights Fund. Includes on-line version of tribal codes, constitutions, Cohen’s Handbook, etc. See also the Research Guides.
- National Indian Law Library – This site provides additional ways of finding and relating to the above materials.
- Cornell - Legal Information Institute - Supreme Court Collection – LII is a major site for legal research. Major cases are grouped by topic: select Indians.
- Oklahoma State University Library Digital Collections – Kappler and ICC Decisions are here.
LexisNexis Zimmerman's Research Guide to Native American Legal Materials – A good summary of most of the above sources. To get here, logged in to the subscription site, go to Articles and Databases: Native American Studies.