With the approval of their department, HSU students may deposit their thesis or bound project in Humboldt Digital Scholar. After submitting the required number of copies to the Office for Research, Graduate Studies, and International Programs, you will receive an e-mail notification from the Library with instructions on how to register and submit your thesis or project as a PDF to this open access digital archive.
The Library is notified by the Office of Research, Graduate Studies & International Programs when a student intends to submit a thesis to Humboldt Digital Scholar.
The Library will notify the student by email when Humboldt Digital Scholar has been configured to accept their thesis submission.
The steps below outline how to register and submit an electronic copy of your thesis to Humboldt Digital Scholar.
1) Go here to complete registration:
2) After you enter your email address, it will return the message: "email already in use."
3) Go ahead and click on "reset password" (it will send you an email in response).
4) Follow the link in the email to a page where you will enter and confirm your password. Enter the password and click on "reset password."
5) At the next page that comes up, click on "Go to Humboldt Digital Scholar home."
6) There will be a menu on the right side with a "My Account" section. Click on "Submissions" and then on the next page, "Start a new submission."
7) You will first choose a collection (theses) then tell HDS whether your thesis has multiple titles or has been published. Check the boxes that apply. Click "Next."
• Next, describe the item(s). Tell HDS who is the author (or authors), who is the thesis advisor, what is the title, and supply series/reports nos. and other identifiers as applicable. Choose "thesis" under "Type" and the language of the item under “Type.” Click "Next.”
• Next assign appropriate subject keywords/phrases. NOTE: do not enter all subject keyword/phrases in a single box - enter each subject keyword/phrase then click "add" to provide additional keyword/phrases.
• Supply the abstract of your thesis; fill in sponsors and description as they apply.
• Now you are ready to upload your file. Use the Browse to locate the file. After you confirm that you have the correct file, click "Next.”
• Now verify that the information about your thesis is correct. You can edit it at this point. Then click "Next.”
8) You will be directed to authorize Humboldt Digital Scholar to house and distribute your thesis. This is a non-exclusive license. Please read it and choose to grant or not grant the license.
• Upon granting the license, your submission is complete.
9) We will review the submission and send you the permanent link after making the thesis available online.