Student Assistant Jobs Available!
Interested in working at the Library? Two areas are looking for student assistants - HSU Press and Special Collections. Join the friendly crew at the Library and gain valuable experience while working flexible hours.
HSU Press: Will work on scholarly communications, HSU Press, open education, and office projects as needed. Duties may include master’s thesis reviews, writing, editing, typesetting, graphic design, research, digitization, project management, and/or marketing as needed. Need good communications skills and attention to detail. Knowledge of Adobe Suite, editing, or marketing a plus, but not required. 10-12 hrs per week. $13.25 per hour. For additional information and to apply, go to humboldt.joinhandshake.com.
Special Collections: Love researching Humboldt history? Excited to share your passion with other students? The HSU Library Special Collections is hiring student assistants for a variety of projects. Under the supervision of the Special Collections Librarian, student duties include:
- Provide research and library assistance for HSU students and community users.
- Teach researchers how to navigate the Special Collections website, catalog, database and finding aids.
- Complete collection inventories and photoduplication requests.
- Answer the Humboldt Room phone and reply to distance researcher requests.
- Promote Special Collections via social media and blogs.
- Updating the content of the Humboldt Room website and perform quality control for archival projects.
- Provide access to the rare book collection while maintaining the safety of the collection.
- Edit Wikipedia pages related to Humboldt County History in order to direct researchers to collections in the archive.
- Graphic design projects.
- Create physical and digital exhibits to promote Special Collections to visitors.
Skills Required: Experience using the Humboldt Room collections. Knowledge of archival procedures and standards. Ability to work independently and use problem solving skills and independent judgement.
Other Competencies Required: Dependable, proactive, show initiative, interest in Special Collections or library work.
Preferred Skills: Maintain accurate statistics Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access), Adobe Photoshop and Indesign, scanning, efficient typing, web creation, video editing, or text editing are bonuses.
Timeline for interested applicants: Resumes will be reviewed from date of job posting until Monday, February 3, 2020. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until the position closes. Please apply early.
Application Information: Please email the following four items to Carly Marino, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Library Student Assistant Application
- Work Availability
- Resume with names and contact information for two references
- Cover letter stating why you are interested in this job and how it relates to your professional goals after you graduate
$13.25 per hour