Atkinson Family Library Scholar Internship
Special Collections serves as a unique space for the acquisition and preservation of the University and Humboldt County history. To communicate this history, Special Collections aims to provide access to these collection materials to a wide research audience that ranges from HSU student and faculty, to the general public.
To sample our unique collections, we encourage you to visit the Special Collections website and stop by our location at Library Room 303.
Library Special Collections invites currently enrolled HSU students to apply for the Atkinson Family Library Scholar Internship for Spring 2019. This semester-long internship offers students an opportunity to:
- Work with Special Collections and the Marching Lumberjacks Alumni Association to gain invaluable hands-on experience in work involving public history, university archives, and museum studies as a professional.
- Conduct archival research to actively document the band’s 50 years as a student run and student organized college band.
- Learn the breadth of a digitization project, including the proper handling and care of fragile objects to be scanned and organizational skills with digital files.
- Develop a website as an online exhibit using the Omeka digital platform; an online content management system for digital collections. This will include writing for the web.
- Build a portfolio that meets archival professional standards of arrangement, description, and access.
- One page cover letter
- Name and contact information of two references (professional or academic)
- Completed Supplemental Questions Form
- Spring 2019 Semester work schedule availability
This is a semester long, paid academic internship. where students will receive a scholarship after successfully completing the internship. Currently enrolled graduate and undergraduate Humboldt State University students are eligible to apply. With their academic advisor's approval, interns may have the option to receive internship course credit.
Deadline for applications submission with all necessary materials is December 7, 2018. Please email Louis Knecht all application material at email@example.com. Link to the internship position flyer is found here.
Glen Atkinson, an HSU Alumni, endowed the Atkinson Family Library Scholar Internship to support student research and skills that will provide lifelong value. One student each semester will be an Atkinson Family Library Scholar and dedicate their project-based learning within Special Collections, Digital Media Lab, Scholarly Communications, or Instruction. For more information on how you can sponsor an intern or donate to to the HSU Library, see Giving to the Library.