GIS and Digital Spatial Data: Reference Resources
See Digital Spatial Data for major guides and collections of digital spatial data, organized by broad geographic area.
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Dictionary of Abbreviations and Acronyms in Geographic Information Systems, Cartography, and Remote Sensing (Hoehn & Larsgaard)
- Encyclopedia of Geographic Information Systems (Kemp) 2008 (ref G 70.212 E53)
- ESRI Press Dictionary of GIS Terminology (Kennedy) 2001 (ref G 70.212 E87)
- GIS Dictionary (ESRI)
Handbooks and Manuals
- Manual of Geographic Information Systems (Madden and American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing) 2009 (G 70.212 M358)
Literature Databases and Bibliographies
- Geobase (HSU Users Only) Indexes journals and other publications in geography, geology, ecology, and related disciplines, including over 50,000 references to GIS research.
- GIS Bibliography (ESRI) Indexes over 125,000 references to geographic information systems, science, and technology from journal articles, conference papers, books, and reports.
- Many discipline databases index GIS literature as applied to that discipline. See the list of available databases for appropriate indexes. As an example the Wildlife and Ecology Studies Worldwide database includes approximately 7,000 GIS references.
Internet Portals and Gateways
These are specialized "subject guides/portals/gateways" to GIS resources and news on the Internet.
- GIS Internet Resources: Your Guide to Navigating the Net (U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Topographic Engineering Center)
- GIS Lounge
- GISCafe.com (Internet Business Systems)
- The Ultimate GIS Search Engine (GeoCommunity)