Reference Resources & Quick Facts
= restricted to campus users and authenticated HSU remote users
- Academic Press Dictionary of Science and Technology - Search from over 130,000 terms defined in 130 fields of science.
- American Heritage Dictionary - The fourth edition published in 2000 contains over 90,000 entries featuring 10,000 new words and senses, 70,000 audio word pronunciations, 900 full-page color illustrations, language notes and word-root appendixes.
- Britannica Concise Encyclopedia - A one-volume complete online encyclopedia that includes 28,000 short entries. Free to all users. If you are HSU faculty/student/staff, you may use the Encyclopedia Britannica Online which has the full articles and much more.
- Columbia Encyclopedia, 6th Edition - The entire Columbia Encyclopedia database is full-text searchable. The sixth edition was published in 2000 making it up-to-date. Also available at http://education.yahoo.com/reference/encyclopedia
- Dictionary.com - Includes English language and other language dictionaries, as well as a thesaurus and translator tool.
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable - "Comprises over 18,000 entries that reveal the etymologies, trace the origins and otherwise catalog “words with a tale to tell."
- Encyclopedia Britannica Online (includes Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary)
- Encyclopedia Smithsonian - Features include answers to frequently asked questions about the Smithsonian and links to Smithsonian resources from A to Z.
- EuroDicAutom - You may search for terms or abbreviations in Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Italian, Latin, Portuguese, Spanish, or Swedish. Terms may be translated into another language if you wish.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library - Combined search for 93 fulltext reference works from Gale Research.
- Grove Art Online - Comprehensive resource for world art and culture, containing 720,000 entries as well as the Bridgeman Collection Library of 100,000 color images.
- Grove Music Online - Online version of the Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, 2nd edition. Online features include sound and image links, the full content of the print work, and quarterly updates.
- Johns Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory and Criticism Online - Fulltext database containing 226 literary essays on individual critics and theorists, critical and theoretical schools and movements, and the critical and theoretical innovations of specific countries and historic periods.
- Medline Plus - Contains extensive information from the National Institutes of Health and other sources on over 500 disease and conditions. There are also lists of hospitals and physicians, a medical encyclopedia and dictionaries, health information in Spanish, extensive information on prescription and nonprescription drugs, health information from the media, and links to thousands of clinical trials.
- MedTerms Medical Dictionary - Definitions for 15,000 medical terms.
- Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
- Merriam - Webster Dictionary - Based on Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® Dictionary, Tenth Edition. The online dictionary includes the main A-Z listing of the Collegiate® Dictionary, as well as the Abbreviations, Foreign Words and Phrases, Biographical Names, and Geographical Names sections.
- Merriam - Webster Collegiate Thesaurus - The searchable version of this popular thesaurus.
- OneLook Dictionaries - You can search hundreds of online dictionaries here!
- Oxford English Dictionary
- NetLingo.com - Dictionary of Internet terms
- Roget's Thesaurus - The searchable Internet Edition 1.2 was published in 1996 by Lexico LL.
- A Web of On-line Dictionaries - A tremendous resource which has hundreds of dictionaries, including dictionaries for over 220 foreign langauges. The site has Multilingual Dictionaries, Specialized English Dictionaries, Thesauri and Other Vocabulary Aids, and other types of linguistic resources.
- Wikipedia - Online Encyclopedia offering 810,000 articles that is created and edited by volunteers contributors. Browse by broad category such as Culture, Geography, History, Life, Mathematics, Science, Society, Technology, or search for specific topics.
- Wordsmyth - Claims to be "an innovative and evolving language reference source that meshes the functions of a dictionary and a thesaurus with powerful and flexible search capabilities." According to the Scout Report review, "Since the thesaurus is integrated into the dictionary, there is less chance of users (especially students seeking fancy words to impress a teacher) wildly misusing a word."
- Virtual Reference Desk - Dictionaries and Language Resources - An extensive list of online dictionaries and search forms from Bob Drudge.