Reference Resources & Quick Facts
= restricted to campus users and authenticated HSU remote users
- Biographical Dictionary - This dictionary includes notable men and women who have shaped our world from ancient times to the present day. The dictionary can be searched by names, birth years, death years, positions held, professions, literary and artistic works, miscellaneous achievements, and other keywords.
- Biographical Memoirs – Published since 1877, Biographical Memoirs are hundreds of brief biographies of deceased National Academy of Sciences members, written by those who knew them or their work.
- Biography.com - This site from A&E network allows you to search for brief biographical information on famous people.
- Congressional Biographical Directory - Biographical information for all members of the US Congress since 1774 may be searched here.
- Dictionary of New Zealand Biography - Superior to the print version, this online version includes 3,000+ searchable biographies with illustrations, occupation/activity, area and decade of activity, gender, Maori/non-Maori, decade of birth and death, and birthplace of people important in New Zealand history.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library - Combined search for 93 fulltext reference works from Gale Research.
- Lives, the Biography Resource - Claiming to be the "largest guide to biography sites on the Web," Lives has short reviews of English-language sites that have biographical information. Due to high volume, recent additions have not been reviewed.
- NameBase Book Index - Produced by Public Information Research, Inc., this site has a collection of over 200,000 citations on famous individuals in politics, foreign policy, intelligence, business and organized crime.
- Who2 - For each famous figure find the birth and death dates, famous works, notorious trivia, and the four best websites for additional detail.
- Women in Congress - Updated and expanded edition of Women in Congress, 1917–1990, as mandated by the House of Representatives in House Concurrent Resolution No. 66, by the 107th Congress, First Session. Women in Congress, 1917–2006 is the first volume in a series of publications highlighting the congressional service of women and minority groups. Black Americans in Congress, 1870–2007 and its companion Web site were published in 2008.