Library Services for Graduate Students
This page contains links to HSU Library services of special interest to graduate students.
Library Faculty by Subject Specialty - librarians are available by appointment for individual consultation on your information research needs.
Circulation - the loan period for graduate students is one semester (through the end of the current semester), except for certain categories of materials that have limited loan periods (CD's, maps, periodicals, etc.).
Current Awareness - use the following services to receive automatic notification of new publications in your area of interest. In almost all cases you first need to establish a user profile with the service.
- EBSCO Alerts - establish subject search profiles in Academic Search Elite to receive daily, weekly or monthly notification of new references added to the databases that match your profile.
- Google Scholar - create subject keyword alerts.
- Highwire Press - create an table of contents alert, subject keyword alert, or a citation alert for articles that cite a specific paper for the 900 journals published by Highwire Press.
- IngentaConnect --create subject or table of contents alerts from a database of 20,000 journals.
- Social Sciences and Humanities
- ProQuest Alerts - set up subject profiles to receive weekly notification of new research indexed in ERIC, PyscINFO, Social Services Abstracts or Sociological Abstracts.
- EBSCO Alerts - establish subject search profiles in America: History and Life, Communication and Mass Media Complete, ERIC, Historical Abstracts, MLA Bibliography, or SportDiscus to receive daily, weekly or monthly notification of new references added to the databases that match your profile.
- Sciences - Current Awareness in the Sciences - lists current awareness sources in the sciences.
HSU Theses - search in the Library Catalog for over 3500 HSU theses produced since 1950. You can browse by degree and/or enter a subject or title keyword or phrase, author or year. Results can be sorted by author, title or year. Most theses from Fall 2005 are available fulltext in Humboldt Digital Scholar.
- Video Research Tutorials - view brief, captioned screencasts including Literature Reviews: An Overview for Graduate Students (North Carolina State University).
Information Management - a critical part of the student research process is keeping track of references (citations)—journal papers, books, web pages, images, quotations, etc.—that support your research so that you can properly cite them in your work using a required publication style. Reference Management Tools for Research and Writing lists recommended "reference management programs" available to HSU students.
Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery
- Interlibrary Loan - complete online forms to initiate requests for materials available at other libraries.
- CSU Catalog - search the combined CSU Catalog of all 23 libraries and request items using the built-in interlibrary loan system.
- Database links - most databases available in Articles and Databases include linking at the article level to an interlibrary loan form if the article is not available locally.
Humboldt Digital Scholar - add a digital copy of your completed thesis to Humboldt's growing collection of institutional scholarship. Increase its visibility worldwide. See Getting Started with Humboldt Digital Scholar.