Skip to content

Library Services for the Community

We welcome you to the Humboldt State University Library. Most of the Humboldt State University Library bookstacks are open to the public, and the online HSU Library Catalog, which contains access information for most of the resources housed in the Library, may be searched from any location. In-library use of most materials does not require a Library ID card. In-library use of some protected collections, including Print Reserves and the special Case collection, requires either a Library ID card or a photo ID such as a driver license. You must have a Library ID card to view videos and DVDs and to listen to CDs in the Library's Media Resources Area.

Library ID Card. To check out books and other circulating materials, you must have a Library ID card made at the ID Office (Library 110A, phone no. 826-5601). Community members who are at least 18 years old, with California DMV identification and a local address, or local high school students under age 18 with school and parent permission, may obtain a Library ID card for a fee of $19 for four months or $40 for a year. Note that access to search/hold and interlibrary loan services and remote access to licensed electronic databases are not available to community borrowers.

Community Access to Internet. A person not otherwise connected with the university who wishes to access the internet from within the HSU Library and has no computer of their own, must first register as a short-term Community Internet User (CIU) at the Circulation Desk. Access is only available to persons age 18 and older. Community users with their own laptops or electronic devices can register themselves through the HSUGuest wireless network.

Open Access Databases. Our open access databases are available to community members.

Government Documents. As a selective depository for United States Federal Government documents and California State documents, the Library receives some, but not all, items published by the U.S. government and by the State of California.

Interlibrary Loan (ILL). The HSU Library does not offer interlibrary loan service to community members. The Humboldt County Public Library offers ILL service to anyone with its library card. There is a charge for each request processed. The College of the Redwoods Library offers its own interlibrary loan service to people affiliated with CR. If you are willing to pay, you can contact a full-service document delivery vendor.

General Information
About the HSU Library
Library News
Hours, Calendar
Parking Map and Directions
Library Maps
Information Literacy Services
Art Inside the HSU Library
Make a Difference/Make a Gift
Giving to the Library
Donor Recognition
      Donor Profiles
Library Resources (remote access)
HSU Library Catalog
Journal & Newspaper Finder
Quick Reference Sources
Open Access Databases
Special Collections/Humboldt Room
Government Documents