Journal Title Abbreviations
Journal references cited in scholarly papers and some databases are frequently abbreviated. The following online and print sources can assist in deciphering these abbreviations:
- Journal and Newspaper Finder (HSU Library) The "keyword" search option allows you to enter word stems to find matching titles available in the HSU Library, e.g., "ecol mono" finds Ecological Monographs; or enter common journal title abbreviations, e.g., "jacs" finds Journal of the American Chemical Society.
- Articles and Databases (HSU Library) Links to database guides that may include lists of journals indexed "sources" and their abbreviations. Follow the "More Details" or link.
- All That JAS: Journal Abbreviation Sources Lists many guides to journals indexed in scholarly databases.
- Genamics JournalSeek Large database of current journals that allows searching by abbreviation or full title.
- Journal Title Abbreviations (CalTech): Links to journal abbreviations used in ISI databases in the sciences, social sciences and humanities.
- List of Title Word Abbreviations (LTWA) (ISSN International Centre) Contains 54,000 standardized words and their abbreviations found in serial titles processed by the ISSN network.
- Periodical Title Abbreviations: By Abbreviation (ref Z 6945 A2 P47) Includes 130,000 periodical title abbreviations.
- Science & Engineering Journal Abbreviations (University of British Columbia)
- World List of Scientific Periodicals Published in the Years 1900-1960 (Brown & Stratton) 1963 (ref Z 7403 W923 1993) Lists approximately 60,000 periodicals "arranged in alphabetical order of the important words of the titles"; also includes the standard periodical abbreviation.
If you are also interested in knowing what journals are published in a particlar subject area see Scholarly Journal Directories.