Help with Writing Assignments
Here are suggestions for finding help with writing assignments, including examples that you can use as models, methods of researching and composing different kinds of papers, and information about grammar, spelling, English usage, and writing mechanics.
IN THE REFERENCE COLLECTION
You can use the call numbers given here as guides to browsing in Reference or the main collection to find additional sources.
- English language thesauri and synonym dictionaries. There are several in Reference and in the main collection in PE 1591.
- English language dictionaries. There are several in Reference and in the main collection in PE 1625.
- CQ Researcher. Good model essays on current topics, organized around the past, present, and probably future of an issue. Earlier volumes are shelved in Periodicals, on the second floor of the Library.
- The Blair Handbook (ref PE 1408 F78 2003) A comprehensive guide to the writing process, from finding a voice through editing the final draft, including grammar and usage, writing in different disciplines, and special notes for writers of English as a second language.
- Webster's New World Student Writing Handbook (ref PE 1408 S6577 2000) Procedures and samples for many types of writing asisgnments, such as autobiographies, book reports, cause and effect papers, compare and contrast papers, business letters, literary analyses, outlines, technical reports, and many more.
- American Usage and Style (ref PE 1460 C648) Explains proper use of words such as "amount" vs. "number," "hopefully," "imply" vs. "infer," etc.
- Writing in the Arts and Sciences (ref PE 1478 W75 1981a) Arranged by discipline; procedures and examples of many types of writing assignments, such as journals, analyses of different literary genres, art works or performances, book reviews, case studies, lab and research notebooks, take-home essays, etc.
- Writing Opinion: Reviews (ref PN 4784 R4 R58 1988) How to write reviews of books, musical and dramatic performances, etc., with examples.
- The Bias-Free Word Finder: A Dictionary of Nondiscriminatory Usage (ref PE 1460 M26 1992)
IN THE MAIN COLLECTION
Here are some recommended books that can be checked out:
- A Short Guide to Writing about Social Science (H 91 C78 1993)
- The New Oxford Guide to Writing (PE 1408 K2728 1988)
- The Elements of Style, 4th ed. (PE 1408 S772 2000)
- Schaum's Quick Guide to Writing Great Essays (PE 1471 M29 1999b and online: PE 1471 M29 1999beb)
- Fundamentals of Essay Writing (PE 1471 P47 1987)
- Writing Science Research Papers (PE 1475 W55 2000)
- Writing in the Disciplines (PE 1478 D87 1987)
- Writing about Literature (PE 1479 C7 R59 1995b)
These books are mostly located in the PE 1400s. You will be able to find many more useful books by browsing in this section, especially in the PE 1420s, PE 1430s, and PE 1470s. Books on writing term papers are in LB 2369, and some books on general college study skills are located in the LB 2395 section. These books often include secions on composition and library research, so you may want to browse there also.
Use these terms in the HSU Library Catalog to find more books. Go to Advanced Search and choose Subject from the drop down In: menu. Then enter your terms.
english language business english
english language dictionaries
english language grammar
english language rhetoric
english language style
english language technical english
english language usage
study method of
Remember that librarians are available to assist you at any stage of your writing assignment. Please consult one if you have any questions.