Scope and Content of the Collection
Arrangement of the Collection
The Library, Special Collections
Humboldt State University
One Harpst Street
Arcata, California 95521
Carly Marino, MA and Edith Butler, MA, CA
1969-2008 (date span)
1988-2004 (bulk dates)
9 cubic feet
This collection consists of material gathered by members of the City Council of Arcata, California from 1969-2008 (bulk dates 1988-2004). The documents reflect the management, organization, and planning that city councilmembers participated in during their tenure in office. These documents were generated or inherited by Connie Stewart's time in office. This collection's strength is its representation of what councilmembers use to make policy decisions.
The collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Humboldt State University Library. To obtain permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the Special Collections Librarian.
This collection was donated by Connie Stewart in April 2004.
Connie Stewart served as City Councilwoman of Arcata, California from 1996-2004, and was the Mayor from 1999-2001. Stewart is the Executive Director of the California Center for Rural Policy at Humboldt State University. She has dedicated her entire career to civic service and leadership with a broad array of organizations: Hospice of Humboldt (board member), The Open Door Community Health Centers (board member), Redwood Coast Rural Action, Community Health Alliance (board member), Humboldt Energy Task Force (co-founder), Redwood Coast Energy Authority (former chair and co-founder), the Northcoast Environmental Center (Office Manager), Arcata Community Recycling Center (former board member), North Coast Big Brothers/Big Sisters (former board member) and the KHSU-FM community advisory panel (former chair). She is a currently an Alternate Commissioner on the California Coastal Commission and is former President of the Local Government Commission--an organization that focuses on educating elected officials on "Smart Growth" principals. She earned her bachelor's degree in speech communication at Humboldt State University in 1988.
This collection consists of reports, agendas, correspondence, publications, pamphlets, and research that encompass the work of Arcata's City councilmembers from 1969-2008 (bulk dates 1988-2004), including council members: Connie Stewart, Jim Test, Victor Schaub, Thea Gast, Julie Fulkerson, and Alexandra Fairless (Stillman). This collection is useful to researchers trying to understand what councilmembers use to make policy decisions, as well as providing information about Arcata projects. Connie Stewart has reviewed the few files containing items marked "confidential" and has removed any that continue to be confidential.
The collection is arranged in 10 series. The donor received documents from several sources and locations over time, and the series somewhat reflect the original provenance from these various sources.
Series: Schaub Council Files
This series contains files from the 1980s and 1990s created by Arcata City Council members Alexandra Fairless (Stillman), Thea Gast, Julie Fulkerson, Victor Schaub, Jim Test and Connie Stewart. The files were inherited by Connie Stewart from Victor Schaub. Files are arranged alphabetically by subject, the original order and classification has been maintained.
- Bicycling; 1981 - 1993.
- Budget and Revenues; 1991 - 1996.
- CALCOG; 1993 - 1994.
- Chamber of Commerce, [Blue Lake]; n.d.
- Child Care; 1988 - 1990.
- City Manager; 1989 - 1995.
- Design Assistance; 1988 - 1995.
- City Attorney; 1991 - 1996.
- Downtown Plan; 1989.
- Economic Development; 1990 - 1995.
- Energy; 1983 - 1992.
- Eureka/Humboldt County Convention and Visitors Bureau; 1991 - 1995.
- Fisheries; 1992.
- Forest Management Advisory Committee; 1990 - 1995.
- Goals; 1992 - 1999.
- Healthy City Project; 1990 - 1992.
- Herbicides; 1985 - 1990.
- Historic Preservation; 1985 - 1994.
- Homeless; 1994 - 1995.
- Hotel Arcata; 1969 - 1990.
- Housing; 1992 - 1995.
- HSU; 1974 - 1990.
- Litigation; 1994 - 1995.
- LC Cities [League of California Cities]; 1989 - 1997.
- LCC [League of California Cities]: Redwood Div.; 1991 - 1994.
- Local Government Commission; 1991.
- Main Street Program; 1988 - 1995.
- Marsh; 1984 - 1995.
- Noise; 1989 - 1992.
- Nuclear Free Zone; 1991 - 1992.
- Parks and Recreation; 1987 - 1995.
Cont'd Series: Schaub Council Files
- Planning; 1989 - 1996.
- Planning - Agriculture; 1989 - 1996.
- Planning - Public Woks Planning, [newspaper clippings]; 1988 - 1989.
- Police; 1990 - 1991.
- Police Department, [newspaper clippings]; 1986 - 1990.
- Recycling; 1988 - 1995, Part 1 of 2.
- Recycling; 1988 - 1995, Part 2 of 2.
- Redevelopment Agency; 1983 - 1994.
- Skateboards; 1991 - 1996.
- Student Government; 1991 - 1993.
- Toxics; 1986 - 1989.
- Underground Utility District; 1989 - 1993.
- Veteran's Hall; 1989.
- Water; 1981 - 1995.
- Wetlands and Creeks Advisory Committee; 1987 - 1995.
- Youth Services; 1995 - 1996.
Series: Stewart Council Files
This series contains files from Connie Stewart's tenure as Arcata City Councilmember and mayor (1996 - 2004). In 2001, there was a fire at the Northcoast Environmental Center destroying many of her files. This series' files were created after this fire occurred. The documents include campaign material, personnel information, and intern resumes. Documents related to councilmember duties include meetings, agendas, city manager reports, ballot measures, and other various materials. There are also numerous files related to various community organizations and other topics of political interest. Files are arranged alphabetically by subject, the original order and classification has been maintained.
- ABAG, Association of Bay Area Governments; 2001.
- Phil Angelides; 2001 - 2002.
- Arcata Economic Development Corporation; 2000 - 2001.
- ASJE, Alliance for Sustainable Jobs and the Environment; 2001 - 2002.
- Patty Berg; 2002.
- Brownfields; 2000 - 2002.
- Calendar Items; n.d.
- Carl De. Grande; 2001.
- Wesley Chesbro; 2002 - 2004.
- Climate Action Team; 2005 - 2006.
- City Manager; 2000 - 2004.
- Coastal Commission; 2001 - 2004.
- Code Enforcement; 2002.
- Community Development; 2001 - 2002.
- Correspondence; 2002 - 2003.
- Creeks and Wetlands; 2001 - 2004.
- Democracy and Corps.; 2001 - 2004.
- Design Review; 2002.
- Eco-Industrial Park; 2002.
- Ecolodge; 2002.
- Economic Committee; 2001 - 2002.
- Ed Robey; n.d.
- Energy; 2001 - 2004.
- Energy: Wind; 1999.
- Energy: Wave Power; 2001 - 2004.
- Environmental Services; 2001 - 2002.
- Fairfax Pesticide Ordinance; 2000 - 2002.
- Finance Department; 2001.
- Figas Property; n.d.
- Fire Department; 2004.
- Foodworks; 2002.
- Forest Advisory Committee; 2001.
- Forest Institute for Teachers; 2001.
- FPPC, Fair Political Practices Commission; 2001 - 2002.
- Friends of the Marsh; 2001.
- Paul Gallegos; 2001.
- Jill Geist; 2001.
- General Plan; 1999 - 2001.
Cont'd Series: Stewart Council Files
- Goals; 2002.
- Grading Ordinance; 2002.
- Greenbuild Case Studies; n.d.
- Humboldt County Visitors Bureau; 2001 - 2002.
- Humboldt Educare; 2001.
- Humboldt State University; 2001, 2004.
- Interns: Dominic Fairnha; 2001.
- Interns: Brenna Byrne; 2001.
- Invest for California Conference; 2001.
- Jacoby Creek; 2002.
- Janes Creek; 2001 - 2002.
- John Corbett; n.d.
- Jolly Giant Creek; 2001 - 2002.
- League of City; 2001 - 2004.
- Library; 2001 - 2004.
- LGC - Ahwahnee; 2001 - 2002.
- Livable Places Newsletter; 2001 - 2004.
- LGC - Board; 2001 - 2002.
- Local Government Commission; 2001 - 2004.
- City of Arcata Memorandums; 2004.
- Miscellaneous Awards, Correspondence, Clippings and Conferences; 1999 - 2004.
- Miscellaneous City Council Documents; 1993 - 2008.
- City Council Meeting Agendas and Notes; 2004. 1 of 4 Files.
- City Council Meeting Agendas and Notes; 2004. 2 of 4 Files.
- City Council Meeting Agendas and Notes; 2004. 3 of 4 Files.
- City Council Meeting Agendas and Notes; 2004. 4 of 4 Files.
- Monthly Reports; 2002.
- City Manager Monthly Status Reports; April 2004.
- City Manager Monthly Status Reports; July 2004.
- City Manager Monthly Status Reports; October 2004.
- Offshore Oil Drilling; 2001.
- Open Space Committee; 2002 - 2004.
- Parks Division; 2001.
- Planning Commission; 2001 - 2004.
- Police Department; 2001 - 2004.
- Pre-Qualification Information; 1999.
- Prop 13; 1978.
- Protocol Manuals; 1996 - 2002.
- Public Works; 2001 - 2002.
Cont'd Series: Stewart Council Files
- Recreation Division; 2001.
- Recycling; 1999 - 2004.
- REDEC; 2002.
- Redevelopment; 2001 - 2004.
- Redistricting, Senate; 2001.
- Redwood Community Action Agency; 2001 - 2004.
- Roundabouts; n.d.
- Sales Tax Information; 2000 - 2001.
- Sana; 2000 - 2002.
- THP: Noga Trust; 2002.
- THP: Santa Cruz Rules; 2002.
- THP: Sunnybrae; 2000 - 2002.
- Transportation Division; 1999 - 2002.
- Jim Test; n.d.
- Main Street; 2001 - 2002.
- Mike Thompson; 2002 - 2004.
- Water Board; 1998 - 2004.
- Various Ballot Proposition; 2004.
- Various Measures, Ordinances, and Laws; 2003 - 2005.
- Zoe Barnum Grant Proposal; 2001.
- Stewart Newspaper Clippings and Biographical Information; 1994 - 2000.
Series: Stewart Subject Files
This series contains Office of the Mayor files stored at City Hall and so they escaped the fire at the Northcoast Environmental Center. These documents relate to subjects and projects of interest to Stewart during her tenure as Arcata Councilmember. The original order and classification has been maintained. Topics that contain several files include Arcata redevelopment, housing, land use, transportation, and waste water management.
- HCAOG - Humboldt County Association of Governments; 2001 - 2002; 1 of 2 Files.
- HCAOG - Humboldt County Association of Governments; 1997 - 2000. 2 of 2 Files.
- Homeless; 1988 - 1989.
- Main Street; 1988 - 1995.
- Nuclear Free Zone; 1986 - 1989.
- Parking; 1984 - 1990.
- Parks and Recreation; 1986 - 1989.
Cont'd Series: Stewart Subject Files
- Pesticides; 1986 - 1989.
- Planning; 1985 - 1989.
- Redevelopment; 1986 - 1989.
- Senior Citizen Housing; 1985 - 1995.
- Sewage; 1986, 1996.
- Simpson Property; 1995.
- Timber; 1987.
- Waste Management Plan; 1995, 2001. 1 of 3.
- Waste Management Plan; 2000 - 2001. 2 of 3.
- Waste Management Plan; 1999 - 2003. 3 of 3.
- Water; 1986 - 2003.
- Arcata Chamber of Commerce Visitor Center Packet; 1983, 1998.
- Humboldt County Convention Center and Visitors Bureau; 2000.
- Housing; 2002 - 2004.
- Housing Element Draft; 1993, 2003.
- Land Use - Arcata Environmental Technology Hostel; 2001.
- Land Use - Vacant Property Network; 2002.
- Land Use - City of Arcata General Plan: 2020; Local Coastal Land Use Plan; 2000.
- Land Use - Open Space; 1985 - 2004.
- Land Use - HELP - Humboldt Economic and Land Plan; 2004.
Cont'd Series: Stewart Subject Files
- Land Use - Arcata Ecotopia.
- Land Use - Robert Noble (Council Member) correspondence; 2003.
- Land Use - Parks and Recreation; 1993 - 2004.
- City of Arcata Police; 2003.
- Land Use - Timber Heritage Association; 2004.
- Land Use - Retail Development Reports; 1999.
- Transportation - Bicycle Facilities Plan; 1997, 2000.
- Transportation - Regional Parking Needs Study; 6/27/2003.
- Transportation - 5 Year Transit Development Plan for Redwood Transit System, Southern Humboldt Rural Transit Service, and a Conceptual Plan for a Eureka Intermodal Facility; August 1996.
- Transportation - Transit Development Plan, Draft; April 2001.
- Transportation - Transit Development Plan, Final Report; July 2001.
- Transportation - Report to Arcata City Council from the Central Arcata Traffic Task Force; 3/30/1999.
- Transportation - US 101 Eureka - Arcata Expressway Corridor Study, Draft Report; 6/22/1995.
- Transportation - Report on Audit of the Arcata and Mad River/Dial-A-Ride Transit Systems; 1999.
- Transportation - Regional Transportation Plan for Humboldt County; 1998 - 2000.
- Transportation - Five Year Roads and Bridges Capital Improvement Plan; 2003.
- Transportation - Transit Development Plan; May 1995.
- Transportation - Humboldt County Paratransit Coordination and Consolidation Plan; 7/30/1992.
- Transportation - Transit Development Plan; 12/1/1989.
- Transportation - 5 Year Transit Development Plan for Redwood Transit System and Southern Humboldt Rural Transit Service; May 2002.
- Transportation - Publication - Smart Moves: Transportation Strategies for Smart Growth; 2002.
Series: City Finance Documents
The city finance documents series incudes budgets, financial statements, economic development and investing related to the City of Arcata. Documents have been organized chronologically.
- An Economic Development Action Plan and Strategy for Humboldt County, California; February 1978.
- Proposal to serve as Investment Banker for the Community Development Agency of the City of Arcata, Sutro and Company; 5/18/1988.
- What Business Make Sense for Humboldt County, prepared by Mountain West Research; 12/12/1989.
- Arcata Retail Business Development Strategy; February 1994.
Cont'd Series: City Finance and Economic Development Documents
- City of Arcata Financial Statements for the Year Ended June 30, 1996 with Independent Auditors Report.
- City of Arcata Memorandum on Socially Conscious Investing by Janet M. Luzzi, Finance Director; 1997.
- Economic Development Binder; 1998 - 1999.
- Eureka! Humboldt County Convention and Visitor Bureau - Marketing Plan, Program of Work and Budget; 1999 - 2000.
- Financial Statements, Reports on Internal Control, Compliance and Federal Awards Programs; 6/30/ 2001.
- Invest for California: Strategic Planning for California's Future Prosperity and Quality of Life; 2001.
- City of Arcata 2001/02 Budget.
- The Local Government Commission, Financial Statements with Independent Auditor's Report; 2002 - 2003.
- City of Arcata 2002/2003 Budget.
- City of Arcata, California Basic Financial Statements; 6/30/2003.
- Proposed Budget Fiscal Year 2003/04.
- City of Arcata, California Reports on Internal Control, Compliance, and Federal Awards Programs;6/30/2003.
- City of Arcata Budget 2003 - 2004.
- League of California Cities 2004 Annual Conference Announcement; 2004.
- Western City; League of California Cities Monthly Magazine; 2004.
- Redwood Coast Rural Action; 2004.
- Arcata Chamber of Commerce Newsletters and Business Flyers; 2004.
- Memo from Budget Task Force to Arcata City Council; 2/4/2004.
- City of Arcata - Draft - Economic Development Strategic Plan; May 2004.
- From Crisis to Catastrophe: The Cumulative Impact of Budget Reduction on the California State University and What that Means for California; 2004.
- Proposed Budget Fiscal Year 2004/05, prepared by the City of Arcata Finance Department.
- City of Arcata Economic Development Strategic Plan; 2004 - 2009.
- City of Arcata 2004/2005 Budget.
- Various Economic Development Committees and Reports; 2000 - 2004.
The energy series contains files related to electricity, natural gas and other energy related issues. The bulk of this material is from the Redwood Coast Energy Authority.
- California Energy Commission Handbook - What Should You Know Buying Electricity and Natural Gas in Today's Restructured Market; September 2002.
- Redwood Coast Energy Authority; 2002 - 2004; File 1 of 5.
- Redwood Coast Energy Authority; 2003 - 2004. File 2 of 5.
- Redwood Coast Energy Authority; 2003 - 2004. File 3 of 5.
- Redwood Coast Energy Authority; 2003 - 2004. File 4 of 5.
- Redwood Coast Energy Authority; 2002 - 2004. File 5 of 5.
- Government West, Special Energy and Environment Issue; Jan/Feb 2003.
Series: Water and Waste Management
The water and waste management series consists of reports, pamphlets, and management plans about the disposal of hazardous material. Included is water testing and water quality task force information. The files in this series are organized chronologically, with the bulk of the material created in the 1990s.
- Arcata Integrated Wetland Wastewater Treatment, Wetland Enhancement and Salmon Ranching Program - Supplemental Information for Ford Foundation Site Visit Team; May 1987.
- Arcata Water Supply Study; March 1992.
- Phase I Groundwater Investigation prepared for City of Arcata; March 1994.
- Presentation to the Water Quality Task Force by Westhoff, Cone and Holmstedt; 5/3/1995.
- Final Draft Countywide Integrated Waste Management Plan - Humboldt County; October 1995.
- City Garbage Company of Eureka; 1995.
- Humboldt/ Del Norte Hazardous Material Response Authority Financial Statements and Independent Auditors' Report; 1996 - 1997.
- Testing Experimental Wastewater - Seawater Rearing Ponds with Rainbow and Cutthroat Trout; July 1983 - May 1984.
- Draft, Hazardous Materials Area Plan, Humboldt County Division of Environmental Health; 2003.
- Miscellaneous Documents - Including EPA Pamphlets, Memo's Concerning Waste Treatment System Permits, and Arcata Community Recycling Center.
Series: Parks and Recreation
The parks and recreation series includes brochures, pamphlets, reports, and publications related to parks and community centers. The majority of the documents in this series relates to the Arcata Marsh, but includes information about Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge and the Palco Marsh. Also included in this series is the book California Historical Landmarks, published in 1982.
- California Historical Landmarks; 1979, rev. 1982.
- Butcher's Slough Mid-Project Progress Report; January 1986.
- Environmental Assessment Update - Proposed Land Acquisition for Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge; April 1988.
- Controlling Bird Predation on One-Third Acre Rearing Ponds by Total Coverage with Netting; 1989.
- A Youth Center for Humboldt County Feasibility Study; June 1995.
- Arcata Marsh Interpretive Center Brochures.
- A Guide to Birding In and Around Arcata; 1995.
- Teacher's Guide to the Arcata Marsh and Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Coastal Conservancy - Palco Marsh Update; 2000.
- Phase II Targeted Brownfields Site Assessment South I Street Mill Reuse Project, Final Report; March 2003.
- Arcata Wetlands and Creeks Annual Report to the City Council for 2003.
- McDaniel Slough Marsh Enhancement Project.
- Fliers and Small Publications.
Series: City Planning
The city planning series consists of documents related to land use in the City of Arcata. Included in this series are publications and newsletters about planning livable communities, construction applications for specific projects, and a pedestrian plan. Also in this series is the City of Arcata's emergency operations plan for 1999. The files in this series are organized chronologically.
- Arcata Pedestrian Plan; 7/21/1976.
- West End Road Industrial Area Master Plan; December 1979.
- League of California Cities - Planning Commissioner's Handbook; 1995.
- Hearing Draft: Avenue of the Giants Community Plan; 1999.
- Local Government Fundamentals: The Brown Act and Conflict of Interest Laws, League of California Cities Planning Commissioners Orientation Workshop; 9/25/1999.
- City of Arcata Emergency Operations Plan; September 1999.
- Focus on Livable Communities Newsletters; 1999 - 2000.
- The Campaign to Promote Racial Justice, by National League of Cities; 2000.
- Pamphlets and Brochures for Landscape Architecture and Community Planning Conferences.
- Growth Challenges Facing the Golden State; 2001.
- Map - The Courtyards at Arcata; 2001.
- Land Vote 2002: Americans Invest in Parks and Open Spaces.
- Land Use Code - Public Review Draft; April 2004.
- Northcoast Regional Land Trust, newsletter; Spring 2004.
- California Center for Land Recycling Special Report; July 2004.
- Whitney Tree Farm; 7/1/2004.
- Lot #27 Janes Creek - Construction Application and Plot Map; 2004.
- Construction Service Directory and Hooven Property Management Flier; 2004.
- Transportation Services; 2004.
- Miscellaneous Blueprints and Maps.
- Housing Development and Issues; 2004.
- Miscellaneous Planning and Land Use; 1998 - 2004.
- 2nd Annual New Partners for Smart Growth: Building Safe, Healthy, and Livable Communities Conference; 2003.
Series: Health Services
This series contains documents regarding health services for the City of Arcata. Included is research about water fluoridation as well as research about the Cannabis Buyers Club in Oakland, California. This series also has a book and other documents about the United Indian Health Services.
- Community Health Organizations' Newsletters.
- Community Health Organizations' Correspondence and Fliers.
- Humboldt County Childhood Injury Prevention Strategic Plan; September 2002.
- Arcata Water Fluoridation - Correspondence and Research.
- Arcata Water Fluoridation - Pamphlets.
- Arcata Water Fluoridation - Calcium Fluoride.
- Arcata Water Fluoridation - Sodium Fluoride.
- United Indian Health Services, Inc.: Celebrating 25 Years of Service to the American Indian Community 1970 - 1995, by Edith Butler; 1995.
- United Indian Health Services - Applicant's Report to the City of Arcata; 12/3/1996.
- Cannabis Buyers Club - Binder with Research.
- Healthy Humboldt Coalition; 2004
Series: Community Organizations
This series contains filers, documents, publications and correspondence related to non-profit organizations, including Humboldt State University.
- Non-Profit Publications and Fliers.
- Humboldt State University Documents.
- Various Non-Profit Correspondence.
Alexandra Fairless Campaign Collection
Arcata City Collection
Arcata Ballot Measure G Collection
Historic collection stored in a vault at Arcata City Hall.
HSU Library Humboldt County Collection Pamphlet Collection subject headings: Arcata, Arcata-City Hall, Arcata-City Manager, Arcata-History, Arcata-Planning, Arcata-Housing, Arcata-Laws, Statutes, etc., Arcata-Streets, Courts, Biography-Stillman, Alexandra
Arcata (Calif.) - Politics and government
Land use - California - Humboldt County - Planning
Women - Political activity