Alexandra Fairless Campaign Collection - Finding Aid
The Library, Special Collections
Humboldt State University
One Harpst Street
Arcata, California 95521
Carly Marino, MA, Edith Butler, MA, CA, and Stefani Baldivia, MLIS
Date Collection Processed
Alexandra Fairless (Stillman)
Dates Covered by Collection
1972-2010 (date span)
1972 & 1976 (bulk dates)
Size of Collection
1.2 linear feet
This collection consists of campaign material from Alexandra Fairless’ 1972 election to Arcata City Council and her re-election to city council in 1976. The documents reflect her campaign’s staffing and organization as well as speaking engagements and print material from her campaigns. Of particular interest to researchers are photographs used in campaign print material, and questionnaires that city council candidates answered for various media outlets. Also of interest is her speaking engagements and copies of speeches for various community groups. Alexandra Fairless was Arcata’s first female City Council Member and Mayor. She changed her last name from Fairless to Stillman in 1980.
The collection is open for use by appointment.
Copyright has been assigned to the Humboldt State University Library.
Gift from Alexandra Stillman (Fairless).
Alexandra Fairless initially ran for Arcata City Council in 1972, and placed third in the election, becoming the first woman to join the Arcata City Council. After her 1976 re-election she became the first woman to be mayor of Arcata. Alexandra Fairless remained on Arcata's City Council until 1980. As Alexandra Stillman, she was elected again to Arcata's City Council in 2006. She has also served on numerous civic boards and community groups, and served as a commissioner for California's State Water Commission from 1976-1980.
Scope and Content of the Collection
This collection consists of documents, correspondence, printed material, newspaper clippings, pamphlets, and photographs related Alexandra Fairless's 1972 and 1976 campaigns to be elected to Arcata's City Council. These materials include information on her campaign staffing and public speaking engagements as well as printed advertisements and press releases related to her election. Newspaper clippings consist of articles about Alexandra Fairless and have a date span ranging from 1972-1980.
Arrangement of the Collection
This collection is first arranged by format (e.g. photographs and newspapers are in individual folders) and arranged by subject (e.g. campaign staffing and press releases are in individual folders). Plaques, framed awards, and daily planner books are in Box 2. Photographs are in Box 3.
Series: Campaign Material
- Campaign Organization: Staff, volunteer scripts, outreach materials, and voter demographics. [1972-2010]
- Campaign Material: printed materials and proofs. [1972, 1976, 2006, and 2010 elections]
- Press Releases and Speaking Engagements. [1972 – 2010]
- Voter Registration Drive and Sample Ballots. [1976 election]
- “Interim Information Manual on Disclosure of Financial Interests Provisions of Proposition Nine.” [1974/1975]
- Campaign Regulations: California State and Arcata City. 
- Newspaper clippings related to campaign. [1972-1980]
- Newspaper clippings related to council and mayoral/council duties. [1972-1980]
- Newspaper clippings related to campaign. [2006-2010]
- National Geographic, September 1977, article "California's North Coast: Redwoods, Rain and Lots of Room," page 351.
- Congratulatory Letters, Recognitions, and Awards. Mayoral name tag. [1972-2003]
- Groundbreaking of the Stillman Building 9th and H Streets, Arcata. 
- California Water Commission Publication.
- Campaign Posters. [1972, 1976]
- Daily planner book, includes addresses. 
- Daily planner book, includes addresses. 
- United Way of Humboldt County plaque of appreciation. [February 24, 1982]
- Local Government Commision award. [2009-2014]
- City of Arcata. [1072-1980]
- Democrat of the Year Award.  City of Eureka Award for Exemplary Service on Arcata City Council. [1972-1980]. Re-elect Alexandra Fairless stamp. 
- Arcata Main Street Founder's Award. [May 14, 2003]
- Photographs, including negatives. (Many used in printed campaign materials, see Box 1, Folder 2)
Arcata City Collection
Connie Stewart, Arcata City Council Collection
Arcata (Calif.) - Politics and government
Women - Political activity