Requests - Search/Hold and Recalls
Please note that Item request services are available to HSU student, faculty, and staff only
If you need a book, whether it is checked out or not, you can place a request for it using the Library Catalog. You can also use this to have us search for a book that you are unable to find in the stacks – just place a hold on it and we will search it for you.
To place a request:
- Look up the item in the Library Catalog
- When you are in the item record, note the circulation status
- “Charged,” “Overdue,” and “Renewed” all mean the item is checked out
- “Not Charged” and “Checked In” both mean the item is not checked out
- Click on “Make a Request”
- Login and follow the prompts
- Select “Hold” if the item is not checked out
- Select “Recall” if the item is checked out - you will be asked to enter your barcode a second time on the request page
- You will be notified via email when your item is ready to be picked up.
Although searches are done every day, it may take up to several weeks to locate a book or for it to be returned by the current borrower. In the event we are unable to locate it, or it is not returned in a reasonable time, we will notify you by email and you can then request it via Interlibrary Loan. Please contact the Circulation Department if you have questions or need assistance.
All books, no matter to whom they are checked out, are subject to recall by the library. Long-term borrowers (faculty and graduate students) will have the loan period shortened from the original due date. Recall notices are sent via email and contain the revised due date.
Faculty may contact the Library Media Coordinator at 826-5656 to reserve a video for class use.