The RESERVE BOOK SECTION is a closed stack area where books, documents, instructors' personal materials such as exams or lecture notes, cassette tapes, CDs, computer software, videos, slide programs, and other miscellaneous resources of current interest are kept. These materials are placed on reserve by faculty for required and optional course readings. Permanent reserve items include study materials for challenge exams as well as CSU and campus related information. Limited circulation of reserve items maximizes access for all users.
TO SEARCH FOR RESERVE MATERIAL, click on ONCORES/Reserve on the Library's homepage, and search by the instructor's last name or the course number to find materials currently on reserve for a class. If an item listed has "ONCORES" in the title or call number, it is an electronic reserve item. Click on the title to access these items - see the ONCORES pages for more info. If the item record does not reference ONCORES, it is a print reserve (hard copy) item, available for checkout at the Reserve Desk on the first floor of the Library.
TO CHECK OUT PRINT RESERVE MATERIAL, present your valid HSU ID card, or other photo ID at the Reserve Desk in the library lobby. The staff person will check the item out to you and stamp the time and date due in the item. You are responsible for returning the item by the last time stamped on the time-due slip. Since late fines are charged, be sure that you know the time due before leaving the desk.
LOAN PERIODS - Instructors choose a loan period and type of circulation based on anticipated demand for the item.
- 2-HOUR RESERVE: circulate for a renewable 2 hour loan.
- Library Use Only items: circulate only within the building
- 2 Hour / Overnight Use items: Circulate for 2 hour loans; may leave the building if checked out with a current HSU Card. Overnight check out available 1 hour before closing. Due back the next day at opening hour.
- 1-DAY RESERVE: check out for overnight use any time during the day. Due back the next day at closing; may not be renewed.
VALID HSU ID CARD must be shown to check out One Day and Overnight Use Reserve items to be taken out of the Library. Some form of photo ID [such as, HSU ID, Driver's License] is required to check out items for use in the Library.
HOLDS may be placed on 2-hour reserve items on the hour, up to 2 days in advance. If not claimed by quarter after the hour, the hold is cancelled. To maximize accessibility, each person is allowed only one hold per day on any given item and only one hold per hour. Holds cannot be placed on One Day Reserve items.
RENEWALS are permitted on 2 hour loans if there are no holds on the item. One Day items are not renewable. 2-hour items taken out of the Library may be renewed by phone or online.
- ONLY ONE RESERVE ITEM may be checked out at a time.
- UP TO 3 ITEMS may be checked out together for photocopying purposes. Such items circulate for only one hour. Only one of these items may then be renewed
- AT LIBRARY CLOSING up to 3 Overnight Use or One Day items may be checked out together. ALL are due back the next day at opening hour.
- RETURN Reserve materials to the slot on the west side of the Reserve counter. Items left elsewhere in the Library or at home are subject to the late fines noted below.
OVERDUE FINES - $1.00 PER HOUR FINE applies to each Reserve item checked out. This $1.00 fine is charged even for portions of hours. There is no grace period. Fines accrue for each hour the Library is open.
If you have any questions, please come to the Reserve Office, Library Room 110, 826-4401, Monday-Friday 8:00a.m. - 5:00p.m.