Campus ID Card (Library Card) FAQ
Why do I need an HSU ID card?
- Use as an HSU Library card for checking out library materials.
- The ID card is your Jack Pass, providing unlimited rides on public transportation across Humboldt County. The Eureka Transit Service, Humboldt Transit Authority, and Arcata and Mad River Transit System are participants. Click here for bus schedules.
- Receive discounts on software and hardware at the HSU Bookstore.
- Use as a debit card for on campus purchases.
- Use the Student Health Center.
- Use the campus computer labs.
- Buy discount tickets at the University Box Office.
- Attend athletic events for free.
- Eat meals and do laundry in the residence halls.
- Use as a door key if you live on campus.
- Get discounts at local businesses.
- Get a campus parking permit.
How can I get an HSU ID card?
How much does an HSU ID card cost?
- For new students who have never attended HSU previously, a $5.00 charge for your first card is included in your fees.
- If your card is lost or stolen, you have a name change, or the mag stripe is damaged from improper storage, a replacement card can be purchased for $5.00 at the cashier’s window in the SBS building or the Housing cashier at the Jolly Giant Complex. You will receive a receipt which you take to the ID office to have a new card processed.
- The ID Office will not process a replacement card without a receipt or voucher.
- The replacement cards will work immediately for all transactions requiring a student ID number. On campus housing students will also need to go to the Housing Office to have their card encoded with their room key code.
How long is the ID card good for?
- The ID card should last throughout your academic or employment career at HSU.
- Employees of HSU (Staff/Faculty) are required to turn in their ID cards upon termination or retirement. Depending on their status, a former employee could be eligible for a Retirement ID card that would allow library privileges. Please consult with your departments for further information.
What do I need to do to get an HSU ID card or a Community Borrower card?
- Only currently registered students are eligible to obtain an HSU ID card. Please bring an official form of photo ID such as a driver’s license or passport to the ID office. It is also helpful to provide your ID number.
- Staff and Faculty need to provide an ID Card Request form they receive from Human Resources or their department.
- Community members will be asked to fill out a Community Borrower application requesting additional information.
How long does it take to get a card?
- It takes just a few minutes to process a card.
How do I deposit money onto my C-card account or a J Point account?
- Self service:
- Add-Value Terminal (cash only) is located in the HSU Library, on the second floor near the main staircase
- In person (it takes some minutes for the deposit to show on the account):
- Library Café
- College Creek Market
- Hilltop Market
- Giant’s Cupboard
- You will need to provide a credit card number. There is a $2.00 transaction fee for this service.
- By phone:
- Call the Housing Cashier’s Office, (707) 826-5510, between 9am and 4pm.
May I reactivate an old ID card?
- For security purposes, only one ID card may be active at a time. If you are missing your current card and find an old one, you may bring it to the ID office to be reactivated at no charge if it is in acceptable condition.
What if I lose my ID card?
- Report a lost card to the Housing Cashier, contact the HSU Bookstore, or enter the necessary information online.
How can I replace my HSU Staff/Faculty ID card?
- Obtain an ID Card Request Form from Human Resources to verify your current employment status.
- $5.00 replacement fee: HR can provide a billing code to bill your Department, or you pay the fee at the Cashiers window of the Student Business Services building.
- Come by the ID Office with the ID Card Request Form to have a replacement processed.
What if the magstrip on my card stops working on campus and on the bus?
- You may have to pay a bus fare for that trip. Obtain a receipt from the bus driver and take the receipt to the UPD window in the SBS building.
- You may be directed to come by the ID office to have your security code adjusted to have your card function properly again.
- Your mag stripe may be worn to the point that it is no longer readable or it may have become demagnetized. You can stop by the ID office to have your card evaluated. If the card can’t be re-encoded, you will be advised to purchase a replacement.