Skip to content

Student Employment Information

Other Links

Thank you for your interest in student employment with the Library at Humboldt State University.

The HSU Library maintains a student workforce throughout the academic year and during the summer months. On average, the Library employs approximately 30 to 50 students during the academic year. Both Work Study and non Work Study students, with or without library experience are eligible for employment in the Library. Vacant positions are posted throughout the year with the Career Center's Springboard job service. Peak hiring times are August/September and January/February.

Library student employees may work in a number of specialized units, in various positions, which call for a range of skills from light clerical to technical. These skills are determined, implemented, and supervised by the Library staff within the various units, with each unit overseeing and performing a specific set of operations. Hiring units within the Library are:

Go back to top


When you are hired for a position in the Library, you will need to make an appointment with the Administration Office, Library Room 108, (707) 826-5594 to complete the employment paperwork. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8am-12pm and 1pm-5pm. You must bring the following to the appointment: a copy of your completed Application Form and Work Availability Schedule, a photo ID, and your Social Security Card bearing an original signature. Students will also be required to complete an I-9 form and provide proof of eligibility to work as required by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to access the PDF forms.

Work Study students must provide verification of your financial aid work study award.

If you have previously worked or are currently working in another department on campus, be sure to notify Administration during the employment sign-up process to avoid duplicate paperwork.

Go back to top


Students can work in two separate classifications provided they meet specific criteria: Student Assistant and Work Study. These classifications have been established as positions filled by students while they are enrolled at the University. The classifications are designed to meet three primary objectives

Students in these classifications may be employed in any of the University's departments, offices, or auxiliary organizations performing work on a part-time, temporary basis. Students may be assigned to clerical, technical, maintenance, para-professional or other tasks related to the instructional or administrative functions of the University. Student Assistant classifications shall not be used in lieu of established classifications goverened by collective bargaining agreements.

Federal Work Study is a federally funded financial aid program and eligibility is based on financial need plus the number and level of units in which the student is enrolled. For Information regarding Federal Work Study, please visit the University's Financial Aid website.

Go back to top


When students are assigned to work in two units within the department, accrued hours will remain within that unit. Accrued hours may be transferred from one work assignment to another within a department provided it is agreed upon by the unit to transfer accrued hours, and their new job assignment is at the same classification level. Accrued hours cannot be transferred to jobs in other departments at the University.

Go back to top


Students will be assigned to a unit, and must "clock in and out" by using the Library's "Time Clock" computer database. A student time voucher must be completed every month in order to get paid. Time vouchers must be turned in by the due date established by the Library Administration Office. This deadline is important because all student paychecks are issued at one time by the State Controller's office. At the end of each payroll cycle, the Administration Office will process those vouchers for payment.

The usual payroll cycle is 22 days. Student payday is usually around the 15th of each month. You will get paid the following month in which you work. You must bring a photo ID with you to the Student Financial Services window on the second floor of the Student Services Building.

Please refer to the Pay Calendar for each cycle, although a University Calendar will be posted by the time clock for your review. More information about payroll can be found at Financial Services' Getting Paid at HSU website.

Go back to top