SkillShops are 50 minute drop-in workshops offered to introduce and develop skills in important areas for student success.
All HSU Students, Faculty, and Staff are welcome at SkillShops. We developed the thematic SkillShop structure for our drop-in workshops. All workshops focus on one of the following skills:
- College & Study Skills
- Finding & Using Information
- Leadership & Career
- Personal Growth
- Technology & Digital Media
When a student completes five SkillShops - one SkillShop from each of the five areas - they can apply to become a Skilled Learner. Students who complete another four SkillShops in one area become a Specialist. Completing these workshops helps students be more successful in academic and professional pursuits and exposes them to the skills to be better researchers and lifelong learners. The calendar for upcoming SkillShops can be found here and a printable copy of the current schedule is available here.
Collaborators and Facilitators have come from:
- Academic & Career Advising Center
- African American Center for Academic Excellence
- Clubs & Activities
- Counseling & Psychological Services
- English Department
- Environmental Studies Department
- Learning Center
- Math Department
- SEALS (Student Empowerment and Leadership Support)
- University Library
- Writing Studio
- YES House (Youth Educational Services)
Faculty - interested in offering extra credit to students attending SkillShops? Here is a template form that you can edit and use.